Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a little late, but I worked up about 3/4 acre today for a clover food plot. I was wondering what is the clover seeding rate per acre, and what fertilizer should I use? I will broadcast and cover tommorow, and pray for a wet June. The food plot is in a little opening in the woods that I got lots of pictures this past February-March. The food plot is around the area in this picture. I will post the plots progress as the year progresses.

Attachments

·
Banned
81,617 Posts
What variety of clover are you sowing??? I like about 6 pounds per acre on the ladino,,and 8 to 10 on the bare red clover seed. Use a fertilizer with a low nitrogen number. The first number is your nitrogen, I think my son got some 4-16-16 at the local coop for his clover plot. Some lime will probably be very beneficial for a legume ,,the PH tends to be to low in those areas that have alot of leaf litter.. You may want to be careful covering your seed too,,,it can be pretty easy to get the small seeds like clover to deep. Your better off leaving it on top than to get it to deep,,,if you have a lawn roller,,just roll it into the bare dirt.

:cheers::cheers:

·
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Henry:) I went to the local MFA today and got 6 pounds of Ladino clover, 6-24-24 fertilizer (the lowest N2 they had bagged up) and 100 pounds of pelletized lime. I broadcast it all with a hand spreader but just left it lay on top. I may lightly drag it in in a few days if it dries up a bit. Lots of deer tracks already in the mud.:cheers:

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
Have you been prepping this site at all?? I would recommend waiting till fall if you have alot of competition of weeds and grass. Just use some roundup a couple times this summer and plant this fall. I would hate to see you lose out on your clover investment due to weeds and grass. I would put down at least 200lbs of pelletized per acre on the plot...also, lime will take a will to make a change to your soils.

·
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I tore the site up with a spring harrow in early April and again this past Sunday. There was not much weed competition to start with, as it was in a clearing in the woods. If the plot does not come in good, I will overseed with clover and wheat this fall.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.