Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on investing in a climber stand. i figured this would be as good as place as any to get some advice.

I have been looking at severl API and summit models. I am at a loss which to buy.

·
Registered
8,319 Posts
Well, you get what you pay for...

The first climber I bought was from WalMart, and it's one of the heaviest things, and just a load to lug out to your tree.

Spend your money well, and buy something that's quality: if you don't, you'll pay. I know.

API, or anything Summit would be a great buy if you ask me. Just depends what you want to spend.

·
Jenny's Lackey
47,595 Posts
I've got 3 API Grand slams & love them. I never hesitate to take a nap in these stands. Super comfy & feel very secure. Very quiet while climbing the tree. Have had numerous deer walk under me while I'm halfway up the tree. A bit heavy if your packing a long ways. 23# if memory serves me correctly.

I really wish I had realized what was going on when I bought my last 2, it was right after Bass Pro bought out API. Cabelas couldn't get them anymore so they were selling their remaining inventory for $125 each. Wish I had bought more.

·
Registered
12 Posts
jt,

Like Pinwheel, I have an API Grand Slam Magnum---and I love it! I am not the fondest of heights, but have no problems climbing around in this thing...it's easy to use, makes you feel safe, and when sitting in it , it is very comfortable. Don't have a Summit but have heard nothing but good things about them. I think you would like either one...whichever you choose, MAKE SURE that your bottom section is tied to the top section!!!! My brother wouldn't listen to me----and his feet slipped out of his platform straps and the platform fell all the way to the ground, leaving him hanging on for dear life to the top section. Thank goodness he made it down safely---he listens to me a little more now! Good luck!

·
Registered
18,764 Posts
Lone wolf

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Another vote for API. I have the Grand Slam and love it. Also have a Gorilla Greyback that I let people borrow that are hunting with me. Both are OK, but the API seems alot more stabile and comfortable.

·
Registered
14,508 Posts
Originally posted by Hoytshooter
Lone wolf
:withstupid: ditto:withstupid:

·
Registered
8,319 Posts

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Good deal and good stand!

FYI-- and I'm sure that every one that needs to know this already does--some Summit climber stands manufactured in 2005 were shipped with faulty harnesses. Not sure what the problem was, I bought a stand in 05' hunted all season with the harness no problems then recieved a notice from cabelas in the mail after the season :stickfight: warning about the harness. The will replace it for free so no worries. Just make sure that if it is an 05' you are buying that you are getting the NEW harness.

SAFETY FIRST!!

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
47,359 Posts
I'll throw my vote to the Summit Viper also. No pins to drop, stirrups that you can put your feet in without any difficulty, comforable seat, quiet setup, etc.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.