Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a lot of skulls cleand by taxidermists and done a few my self. I don't have those dermasite beatles pros use so how do you clean one to get it nice and white with out grease spots ? I will probally let Jeff in Iberia do it If it's another record head. But I would like to know so I can try another one myself.

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,475 Posts
I just boiled the living tar out of my deer head bear, and pulled off all of the odds and ends with needle nose. Used a propane turkey fryer and an old pot. In the case of your bear skull, (I didn't want to get it on my rack) I'd dip it in a pan of bleach for about 12 hours after that.

I've done small mammal skulls like this in the past and it worked great. More time than that in the bleach, and the bone will start to break down.

Parker

·
19,583 Posts
I found a few raccoon skulls today, and I was wondering the same thing.

Doesn't the bleach loosen the natural glue that holds the skulls together?

I was told to use hydrogen peroxide, instead of bleach... :confused:

·
PURE KILLER
38,011 Posts
bears are a really greasy,need to soak them in a degreasr to.but if you want them really brite white do what chairmans says but try to get the stonger solution product.you can either order it online or get your wife to pick you up some at the beauty parlor

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I recently had a taxidermist tell me to let them soak in water for weeks as opposed to boiling as the boiling will weaken them.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Hey, Bear

I don't know if you've talked w/ Jeff in Iberia yet but I give him all my skulls to send to a buddy of his that has the beetles. I think the last one I had done cost around $80?? I hope ya get a bruiser buddy:wave:

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
My grandfather used to rais Texas Longhorn on his ranch. When he would butcher one we would set the skull atop an ant pile and let them clean it up for us. After that you can boil and bleach it but they will eat nearly every bit of flesh off for you.

·
Registered
3,896 Posts
As a taxidermist we just boil the skull long enough to get all the meat and membrane off, Then use powdered peroxide (used for bleaching hair) mixed with cream peroxide (also a hair product) to make a paste then set it in a window with lots of sunlight to dry once it is dry just knock all the powder off(save it for reuse) Then rinse it with water and back in the window to dry. works great!

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
I have had good luck skinning the scull and just burying it in my compost pile. My compost is set up where nothing can dig in it or drag anything off. only takes about a month of being in there with the beetles and worms and its pretty clean. Then take it to the car wash and blast it with the high pressure. This cleans it in minutes. Then I boil the scull with 1/2 peroxide and 1/2 water and it comes out white.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.