Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7,522 Posts
Ive grown flowers for about 5 years now...here are my suggestions from trial and error.
I used the best seed I could find...the same seed the conservation areas use...from the denbesten seed company south dakota
I use plot saver tape around the flowers...as was stated, the deer love the new stems and flowers.

I use prowl 3ec herbicide as preemergent, preincorporate grass herbicide...there really isnt too good of herbicide for broadleaf weeds.

There are some flower seeds made that incoporate a herbicide gene , spartan I believe (cant remember the name off hand) North or south Dakota. They are hard to come by.

Fertilize according to soil test for flowers, kind of like corn you need a lot of high priced nitrogen.

If you want to hunt doves over them... make sure you get them in the ground at the same time or not much later than corn, that way they are ready to start mowing in August to draw and concentrate your doves.

good luck...
Terry
I truly like to hunt doves and wife likes to eat them, so I go all out. I rotate fields to control the ****lebur (broadleaf) with a roundup ready grain.

·
Registered
7,522 Posts
Round up ready sunflowers.......................wow....Im hitting the internet for info now.

Did answer the question earlier, these hybridized sunflowers wont spread..those are just the wild ones.

I did try some dry eptam for broadleafs a couple of times didnt take care of my ****leburs

Hoyt never tried 2-4 db, is there a commercial name for it

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.