Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
70,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received a gift card from the kids to Bass Pro. Went shopping yesterday and decided to replace my BSA Sweet 17 scope on my Marlin 17V 17HMR with a Vortex Crossfire II. 6 - 18 x 44 with AO. Got it bore sighted and can't wait till I can make the trip to my range in NW Morgan County.
Product Audio equipment Material property Gas Cylinder
Auto part Wood Metal Audio equipment Automotive exhaust

·
Deplorable member
10,362 Posts
Fun little round that can smack a yote like a sledge hammer

Reactions: Mailman

·
Registered
70,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hopefully this scope can shoot as good as the BSA and even better. The BSA Sweet 17 has a hit or miss reputation. Mine has been a hit but the Vortex brand has good reviews. Time at the bench will tell.

·
Registered
7,929 Posts

·
Registered
70,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Get a deer this year @Mailman ?
Got an old nanny with my Win. 94 for freezer meat. Haven't spent much time in the woods with my self bow. My health hasn't been the best but hopefully I'll be better by next archery season. Been working on refinishing old bows I've picked up here and there at sales or antique stores. Just finished a York 55 lb recurve made in the early 60's. Shoots strong and really quiet. Turning 74 this summer....best get busy on taking a deer with my hickory bow before my time here runs out.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Fun little round that can smack a yote like a sledge hammer
Like a sledgehammer... NO. With careful shot placement and within its range restrictions it is capable.

·
Deplorable member
10,362 Posts
Like a sledgehammer... NO. With careful shot placement and within its range restrictions it is capable.
We are both correct. Done it many times. I just meant I have been amazed at how it CAN fold one with such a tiny bullet.

·
Registered
70,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You can say the same with about any caliber....just say'n.😁

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
You can say the same with about any caliber....just say'n.😁
Not really. A 22-250, .243, .25-06, ect. really hammer coyotes. There is no comparison between a fast stepping .243 varmint bullet and a 17HMR. Can you kill coyotes with a rimfire? Sure. But you aren't sledgehammering them.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Agreed

After shooting several with a .17, .22 hornet, and .223. The .223 is by far my favorite to drop them.

·
Registered
70,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Could just use a .577 Nitro Express on our Missouri coyotes? Now that would Sledgehammer em!

Just say'n.😁

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Could just use a .577 Nitro Express on our Missouri coyotes? Now that would Sledgehammer em!

Just say'n.😁
It would indeed. But a 17 HMR doesn't. That doesn't change.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
I totally agree! But the .17 H.M.R. is sure fun to shoot even for a "dumb" old man like myself.😁
More fun than a .577 Nitro?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts