Chop/Cut-off Saws.

Discussion in 'Social Club 2011' started by callaojoe, Jun 2, 2009.

1. callaojoe

callaojoe Máistir an pointe hocht.

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    I've got 158 cast iron balusters to trim, and I've always wanted to pick up a chop/cut-off saw anyway.....

So, any opinions, good, bad or indifferent?:thinking:

I am planning to keep the bill around $200, so right now I am looking at the DeWalt 14", and the Rigid 14" 15 amp models. The DeWalt sells for $200, the Rigid for $180. Now, if the Rigid came with one of their old calendars, it'd be a no-brainer... But, I assume those calendars have gone the way of the Ivory Billed Wood pecker, and if not extinct, are quite rare......

Curious if the DeWalt is worth the extra $20, other than that nice pretty yellow color.....:D

2. Heeler75

Heeler75 Confirmed Bachelor

Feb 10, 2008
    Over Yonder Way
    Can't tell you on the saws, but depending on how much length you have to trim off and the shape of the balusters, you might look into the metal cutting blades that look like wood blades. They work a WHOLE heck of a lot slicker than your normal abrasive blades. I don't know what the cost is on those blades, but if you're trimming that many it might be worth it.

Not to mention, those new metal blades leave a nice clean cut edge.

:cheers:

3. blevely

blevely White Board Man

Jul 15, 2004
    Here and There
    I'd go with the DeWalt, that's what we have in the shop and it hasn't failed me yet. Course I don't do a lot with it.

4. callaojoe

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    [rquote=1283774&tid=89807&author=Heeler75]
    Not to mention, those new metal blades leave a nice clean cut edge.

:cheers:[/rquote]

I'll look into it, thanks!:2thumbsup:

5. Big L

Big L Trapper Groupie

Aug 8, 2008
    Bonne Terre
  6. Jeremy

Jeremy REGULAR MEMBER

Dec 22, 2006
    dewalt...hands down, but then again, i have a black and decker and it cuts just as good as any other saw i've used.

7. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    I'd say its a tossup. Are the warrantys the same for both?

8. Big L

Big L Trapper Groupie

Aug 8, 2008
    Bonne Terre
    I have an Enco,fairly cheap and no more than I use it it will last forever,think I gave under a hun for it.

9. callaojoe

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    [rquote=1283791&tid=89807&author=rat]I'd say its a tossup. Are the warrantys the same for both?[/rquote]

You have to call to get the warranty information....

BTW... The Milwaukee 14" cutoff saw, is only $223. And, of the three appears to be the most heavy duty looking..... Something to think about....:thinking:

10. htredneck

htredneck Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2008
    Cass County, MO
    Dewalt.
    If they find out you were doing commercial work, the warranty on the Rigid will be void.

11. Mad-Shooter

Mad-Shooter New Member

Feb 18, 2008
    Montrose, MO
    I bought a reconditioned Ryobi last summer at one of those tool sales for 70 bucks, was leery about it being reconditioned, but works great and hasn't failed me yet. just sayin'
    If your decision is between the two and there is only a $20 difference, I would go with the Dewalt personally. Good luck:cheers:

12. thompson

thompson Active Member

Nov 26, 2007
    We have a dewalt in the shop that I work at. For the most part it gets used on a daily basis. Some days it gets used alot. We can usually get one to last about 4-5 years. If I was to buy one it would be a dewalt hands down

13. callaojoe

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    Here is a link to the ones I am looking at.....

Choppers....

14. Heeler75

Heeler75 Confirmed Bachelor

Feb 10, 2008
    Over Yonder Way
    CJ,
    I did some looking on the metal cutting circular blades. Morse makes some called the Metal Devil. 14" blade though is $160. :eek::eek:

You can buy A LOT of abrasive blades for that.

15. thompson

thompson Active Member

Nov 26, 2007
    I know Milwaukee makes a good tool, but they don't have very much info about the product on there.

16. callaojoe

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    [rquote=1283821&tid=89807&author=Heeler75]CJ,
    I did some looking on the metal cutting circular blades. Morse makes some called the Metal Devil. 14" blade though is $160. :eek::eek:

You can buy A LOT of abrasive blades for that. [/rquote]

Ya, about 30 of them....:rof2:

17. callaojoe

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    [rquote=1283831&tid=89807&author=thompson]I know Milwaukee makes a good tool, but they don't have very much info about the product on there.[/rquote]

Well, for the extra $20 over the Rigid, you get a DeWalt, and it looks like quick blade change ability..... I guess, as long as they have one in stock... Might be the way to go....:thinking:

18. Big L

Big L Trapper Groupie

Aug 8, 2008
    Bonne Terre
    in my experience take a look at anything with quick change,good ideal just not had good luck with it myself,just my .02

19. UrbanHunter

UrbanHunter Well-Known Member

I'd buy DeWalt. I bought one of the cheapo Chinese ones from Harbor Freight as a throw-away... I threw it away.

20. callaojoe

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    Well, I'll be.... Even in this world over overblown Political Correctness... Some things never change.....

Rigid Tool Calendar Link

I may just have to buy theirs just cause they still have the nads to produce something like this.....:D