Choice of AR-15 ......

Discussion in 'Guns & Ammo' started by looking_for_guns, Oct 28, 2010.

1. Which round would you get for a AR-15?

It is going to be mainly used for predator hunting and deer here in Missouri?

2. callaojoe

callaojoe Máistir an pointe hocht.

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    Deer, only round of the two would be the .243....:shrug:

.204 is too light.... IMHO.:D

3. conradtactical

conradtactical New Member

Aug 31, 2010
    Jefferson County, MO
    Why not a .223, that's the standard caliber for an AR-15?

4. Yeah Callaojoe that is what I was thinking but have had a few guys tell me that a .204 would be good for deer

I dunno either way on the .204 since I have never shot or handled one myself, so that is why I posted it up here

:cheers:

5. [rquote=1868301&tid=130052&author=conradtactical]Why not a .223, that's the standard caliber for an AR-15?[/rquote]

I am going to be getting one of those in March to carry with me on duty when I become a LEO.

I want another one that I can have for use of other things and not have to worry about something happening to it while out "playing" and not be able to have it for duty

6. glennasher1

glennasher1 Active Member

Sep 16, 2004
    Radcliff, KY
    Deer HAVE been killed with .204s, but practically anything is better than the .204. There are simply NO deer bullets for that cartridge. None. Zilch. Zero.

I'm a moderator on www.204ruger.com, I've read most, if not all, of the posts there. The .204 will kill deer (so will a .22 LR) but it ain't no deer gun.

7. [rquote=1868310&tid=130052&author=glennasher1]Deer HAVE been killed with .204s, but practically anything is better than the .204. There are simply NO deer bullets for that cartridge. None. Zilch. Zero.

I'm a moderator on www.204ruger.com, I've read most, if not all, of the posts there. The .204 will kill deer (so will a .22 LR) but it ain't no deer gun.[/rquote]

Okay Glen like I said I have never handle or shot one myself and really don't know anyone personal that owns one.

8. macon county boy

macon county boy New Member

May 6, 2009
    what about the 55 gr. berger? in 204

9. BigJake

BigJake New Member

Dec 27, 2005
    6.8 SPC would be my vote.

That's what I'm hunting deer with this year. Hopefully I'll be able to give a report on how it does on deer in a few weeks. :D

10. hun10

hun10 Senior Member

Nov 29, 2006
    Up A Creek
    Predator=.204 but if deer are anywhere in the equation then .243 hands down.

11. Reflex

Reflex Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2007
    Sullivan, MO
    AR-10 in .338 Lapua

:D

12. kevthebassman

kevthebassman New Member

Jul 26, 2008
    Eureka
    Get an AR in .223 with a faster twist (1:7) that will shoot better with the heavier 77 grain bullets that are shown to be pretty good on deer.

13. Gakic24

Gakic24 Active Member

Why the heck would you get an AR for deer or predator hunting, besides the fact that it looks cool?

Why not get a standard rifle and a great scope for less $$?

14. Gakic24

Gakic24 Active Member

[rquote=1868304&tid=130052&author=looking_for_guns][rquote=1868301&tid=130052&author=conradtactical]Why not a .223, that's the standard caliber for an AR-15?[/rquote]

I am going to be getting one of those in March to carry with me on duty when I become a LEO.

I want another one that I can have for use of other things and not have to worry about something happening to it while out "playing" and not be able to have it for duty

:cheers:[/rquote]

If your lucky to work for an agency that will issue you one while you are on duty, that is about your only chance.. Most likely you will also have to be affiliated with the SRT team also..

May not be as true with your bigger cities... If they will issue you the firearm, allow them to pay for it..

Just my:02:

Most backup or personal duty weapons are either handguns or shotguns..

15. winger

winger New Member

Oct 24, 2003
    [rquote=1869130&tid=130052&author=Gakic24][rquote=1868304&tid=130052&author=looking_for_guns][rquote=1868301&tid=130052&author=conradtactical]Why not a .223, that's the standard caliber for an AR-15?[/rquote]

If your lucky to work for an agency that will issue you one while you are on duty, that is about your only chance.. Most likely you will also have to be affiliated with the SRT team also..

May not be as true with your bigger cities... If they will issue you the firearm, allow them to pay for it..

Most backup or personal duty weapons are either handguns or shotguns..[/rquote]

not necessarily true anymore. you don't have to be attached to our SRT team to carry a rifle. although i wish you would some times.:D oh and my ar and the shotgun are not considered back up weapons. you pull them suckers out and you are married to them, it just became the primary.

16. Jeremy

Jeremy REGULAR MEMBER

Dec 22, 2006
    franklin county sheriffs dept issue AR's to most of their guys. heck, one of the guys came in the other day with his dui enforcement car and had 2 of them and an uncountable number of magazines in that car:eek:

17. [rquote=1869130&tid=130052&author=Gakic24][rquote=1868304&tid=130052&author=looking_for_guns][rquote=1868301&tid=130052&author=conradtactical]Why not a .223, that's the standard caliber for an AR-15?[/rquote]

Most backup or personal duty weapons are either handguns or shotguns..[/rquote]

Most of the departments around my area don't provide you a rifle or shotgun, but if you are willing to buy one or both for your car to use while you are on duty then you must qualify per department standard to carry them on duty

18. wolfgang

wolfgang Senior Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Springfield, MO
    Well I think you'll have some issues getting an AR-15 in .243, considering it's derived from .308 which means it would be an AR-10 caliber :D .

19. Mule

Mule Active Member

Sep 27, 2003
    Franklin County, MO
    One lower;
    Two uppers, a varmint round and the other in 6.8 for deer.