Chinese chestnuts

Discussion in 'Deer Management, Habitat & Conservation' started by BC-Buck, Feb 25, 2018.

1. BC-Buck

BC-Buck Active Member

Feb 2, 2014
    Pike Co Mo
    Would like to plant something along edge of a food plot. This is bottom ground deep in a valley and dont think fruit trees would do well. Common to be 5 degrees cooler than ambient with not much winds. Planted some persimmon from MDC 4 years ago but I will probably die before there producing fruit. Was never interested before in Chestnuts because of there early drop date of September but this spot would be a neat place to plant 3 or 4 trees. Would be on North side of field and get good sunlight. Any thoughts?
    trappermark likes this.
  2. horntagger

horntagger Active Member

Jun 30, 2003
    Southeast Missouri
    Because of the hulls is the reason why I waited so long to plant them, I don't want them near a food plot, I made their own remote orchard. Don't want to drive over, walk thru or sit on them so I decide to keep them away from high travel area. It will become it's own low maintenance destination food plot in the long run.

3. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

I understand that chestnuts prefer well drained soils. Bottom ground may not be best suited for them.
  4. CuivreDog2

CuivreDog2 Addicted Habitat Junkie

Mar 27, 2010
    Lincoln County, MO
    I think you will be just fine but with it being a bottom land please keep in mind drainage. As pointed out by Henry, chestnuts prefer well drained soils.

No worries at all regarding the ambient temperature issue since chestnuts flower wayyyyyy later than fruit trees so loss of nut set due to temperatures is nearly unheard of as they tend to set catkins well after any danger of frost - even in a valley setting.

The one issue with your plan that I would like to point out though is that chestnut trees are primarily wind pollinated versus insect pollinated like you see in fruit trees. Due to the low wind conditions you described in your selected area, this is a consideration but by no means a deal breaker. In order to combat this, just plant your trees a little closer together than you would in an upland situation. This will ensure that there is enough wind driven force for the pollen from one tree to reach the next.

Good luck!
    horntagger likes this.