Chicory

Discussion in 'Deer Management, Habitat & Conservation' started by TOBRYAN, Mar 29, 2006.

1. TOBRYAN

TOBRYAN Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2002
    Liberty, Mo
    What are your thoughts on chicory?
    Has anyone planted it with jumbo clover?
    Any luck with Herbicides?
    Im thinking about planting about a half an acre with a synergy jumbo white clover ,chicory mix.
    They say the protein is high and it will grow on a rock.
    I guess it grows like a dandelion, long tape root.
    thanks for your comments

2. hunter7x

hunter7x New Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Indiana
    Been wanting to ask about it myself....

3. Hannibal

Hannibal Senior Member

Dec 30, 2004
    Greene county
    i planted it last fall . one plot was imperial and chickory and the other was regular lidino and chickory. nothing has come up yet this spring, cept the winter wheat that was in the mix. so i am anxious to see waht happens.

4. Woods

Woods Cooyon, Back from NOLA

I tried chicory, twice last year, none came up.

5. mrclean

mrclean New Member

Nov 30, 2005
    Harrisburg
    All I know about it is you can't get it at the Columbia MFA. When I found that out my planned chicory/clover plot became a red/white clover plot. Waiting for it to come up now...

6. sand_manms

sand_manms New Member

Dec 13, 2005
    South Mississippi
    Is this the same chicory that was used in coffee making?

7. nontypical

nontypical Member

Dec 18, 2004
    New Franklin
    Terry,

I've got 7lbs of the IW Chicory Plus that should arrive tomorrow and I'll be trying some of it out in one of the plots I tilled up this weekend then over-seeding it into some standing plots. Hoping to add more draught resistance for the summer as well as use the chicory to fill in through August when the clover takes a hit from the heat. I'll let you know how it does. The IW variety is supposed to have a finer leaf, be more platable and have a higher protein content.

8. TOBRYAN

Dec 4, 2002
    Liberty, Mo
    My coop is getting me a 5lb bag from Missouri southern seed company I believe. Its suppose to have a huge tape root.
    Its called forage chicory...I dont know if its the type as the chicory roasted coffee or not.

9. Hannibal

Hannibal Senior Member

Dec 30, 2004
    Greene county
    nope different chickory

10. SmokinBarrel

SmokinBarrel New Member

May 19, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    Chicory is great! I used some from Henry (on this site), as well as from Tecomate. The picture was taken around May/June. Throughout the :Dsummer, and by October, it was mowed down!! The deer kept it ate to the ground. The drought last summer took its toll on the clover. But, guess what, the chicory kiked azz! I can promise you this, chicory will always be mixed in with my plots. Good stuff. And that's all I have to say about that! :D

By the way, in the pic it shows the clover and alfalfa mixed in with the chicory. Alfalfa survived as well, it also has a deep tap root.

11. Thayer

Thayer New Member

Dec 17, 2005
    Imperial, Mo
    Would love to plant it, but at 9.00/lb, it just doesn't fit my budget. It is a great addition to a clover, alfalfa perrenial plot...lots of protein, 30%+, and very palatable. Your animals might have to get used to it before they forage on it. Herbicides can be tough...your regular grass only herbicides will kill chicory...I think 24db is a herbicide that will work...QDMA.com has a bunch of info on it if you want to visit there and search in the foodplot section. It is very drought resistant and very good for our deer. Good luck with your efforts!:dancin:

12. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    I'd be surprised that sethoxydim or similar grass herbicides have activity vs. chicory, but I have been wrong b4! Graminicides only kill grasses, in nearly all cases. Very specific mode of action with graminicides....

13. TOBRYAN

Dec 4, 2002
    Liberty, Mo
    thanks for your comments, I wil take a look at qdma, that forum is just a little slow and just a little too much to wade through.
    I like it here!!!!
    Smokin, did you drill or broadcast..how much an acre did you put down and when, thanks!

14. Bowkil

Bowkil New Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Ozark Plateau
    i planted a 1/4 acre of clover and chickery last year. its still going strong. i just reseeded it with clover a week ago and limed and fertilized the hell outa it.

15. JDJ

JDJ New Member

Oct 5, 2005
    Branson, MO
    we've had very little success getting our chickory to come up the last 2 years. but then again, my food plots are rough & rocky. a friend in arkansas with good soil only has positive things to say about it. he's got it mixed in with his Tripoli Clover.

We did have good luck with the Tripoli Clover coming up, just not the chickory. We're liming and fertilizing these food plots this spring though, so perhaps we'll have better luck with everything this year.

Haven't seen or read any discussions on MWT about Tripoli Clover. Anyone else familiar with it?? I hadn't heard of it either till my friend in Arkansas mentioned it. It's a white clover, but the single biggest selling point is that it's touted as being highly drought resistant. I guess we could verify that. We planted some via discing and broadcasting last spring, and it came up well and survived the summer. Then we no-tilled more last August in some new dozed fp's, and it would appear that it's all survived and looking good this spring so far.

16. SmokinBarrel

SmokinBarrel New Member

May 19, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    Tob - I broadcasted the chicory seed. I'm not sure how many lbs of seed I used, because it was part of a mix. I now the total amount of the chicory I purchased was 6 lbs. ...mixed with clover and alfalfa. Guessing, about 1.5 - 2 lbs for a 1/4 acre in the pic. I think I added a small amount of alfalfa, but on put it on a strip.

The middle wasn't planted with anything, because I ran out of seed while I was doing this. I guestimated according to the recommendations on the packaging.

17. Hoytshooter

Hoytshooter Active Member

Mar 7, 2005
    Small Buck, MO
    Chicory is awesome and is in every perennial plot I put out and always will be.
    Very drought resistant, very high protien levels if taken care of.

Perhaps the best thing about a clover/chicory plot is that if you go as far asto spray herbicides for weed control you can spray for anything but broadleaf weeds. You can spray clover with 2 4D-B for broadleafs without harming your clover but it will get your chicory. You can still spray grass specific herbicides such as poast on the plot. This is great for me because I rarely have any issues with broadleaf weeds, only grasses. If you do have some broadleaf weeds invade you can just spot spray with roundup to take care of them.

You won't regret it!

18. TOBRYAN

Dec 4, 2002
    Liberty, Mo
    Great info guys, thanks!

19. MUHunter

MUHunter New Member

Aug 13, 2003
    NE MO
    hoytshooter and myself had a good debate about chicory last year. I may have changed my tune a little, but it won't be going on my farm anytime soon just b/c my plots are in a production ag setting and my experience with chicory is that its tough to get rid of. I worked in the range and pasture herbicide market and it was not the easy to eradicate, but for forage quality if getting rid of it won't be an issue I say its pretty good.

20. Hoytshooter

Hoytshooter Active Member

Mar 7, 2005
    Small Buck, MO
    WOW MU!! You're comin' around!!