Chicken Litter

Discussion in 'Deer Management, Habitat & Conservation' started by WBF, Dec 6, 2017.

1. WBF

WBF Wolf Brook Farms

Oct 25, 2013
    Has anyone here used it on their pasture fields, foodplots, etc. would you adjust your PH initially before application of chicken litter (lime) first or apply the litter first to see how it effects the ph then adjust from there.

Have some newer ground that hasn't been restored in a long while that has already been sprayed earlier in the year for weeds, brush, etc. Wanting to work on amending the soil and building OM.

20' likes this.
  2. Muleskinner

Muleskinner Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2006
    Osage County
    I have not used it but some neighbors have. A little cheaper than PKN . Spreading is not as even. From what I have seen grows grass good but does introduce some weeds that are in turkey feed.

Several that have spread said the wild turkeys seem to gather in the fields they spread:cool:

WBF likes this.

3. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

How does cost compare to ag fertilizer and soil building plants ?

4. Maddog3355

Maddog3355 Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2014
    Maries County
    Used to be free you just paid trucking but I haven’t heard the price lately. It is hard on your PH because it is half sawdust which is acidic.

5. Muleskinner

Nov 24, 2006
    Osage County
    Going for around $180 ton i believe a guy told me. I payed $400 for coated fertilizer for hay and pasture .

6. WBF

WBF Wolf Brook Farms

Oct 25, 2013
    Have to check my notes but I think that I payed close to 500 per ton for fert the last time I purchased.

7. flatlander_

flatlander_ Really? Show me. .

I haven't used chicken litter but have used turkey litter. I'm sure there is probably some difference in the two but I don't know what.

Anyway I've had turkey litter spread but it's been a couple years now and I don't remember what I paid but I could probably go back through some records and find out. I had it spread on what at the time was crop ground that was in a corn/wheat/beans rotation. I have since put part of that, about 25 acres, back into pasture. The grass was cost shared through FSA so I had to have the soil up to par, which didn't take much P, K or N and didn't require any lime at the time.

I could run by and ask what it would be too. I've got a neighbor that has some turkey barns, that's who I had spread it last time for me, and he's just 1 1/2 miles from me.

WBF likes this.
  8. WBF

WBF Wolf Brook Farms

Oct 25, 2013
    Just found out this will be Turkey litter as well if I decide to go this direction. Apparently from an Amish community that farms for Tyson...

Have you had any negatives results or issues with PH being negatively affected? I understand the issue with the PH but at least your adding some OM with the saw dust????

9. flatlander_

I haven't had any negative results that I know of and I haven't heard of any issues with PH being negatively affected by using litter. There is a lot of ag around here and almost everyone uses litter when they can most of it is hauled in from Newton and McDonald counties. I think you are allowed 4 tons per acre per year if memory serves me correct. Most people don't spread litter every year but every two to three years and I haven't noticed lime being spread any more often than it ever was.

I'm not saying it doesn't affect PH but if it does I haven't heard it and I'm around guys weekly that spread a lot more than I do or ever have. I'll have to ask my dad, he'll have a better idea than me. He farmed for 40+ years before he retired.

WBF likes this.
  10. WBF

WBF Wolf Brook Farms

Oct 25, 2013
    Great Info!!!! Thank You!

This ground is fairly poor soil quality. I've had some positive results thus far building OM the old fashioned way with cereal grains, terminating them and leaving them for thatch to conserve soil moisture and no till practices when proper soil conditions permit. The access to Turkey litter presented itself and I thought I'd try a different approach and compare . The info you provide is greatly appreciated!

Crappie likes this.
  11. Muleskinner

Nov 24, 2006
    Osage County
    if you go this way post updates and we can all see how it goes .
    Yes and my fertilizer was just shy of $500/ton .

12. flatlander_

So I talked to my dad and a friend of mine that farms full time about this.

My buddy is of the opinion that it's possible that the acidity might raise because he said that anytime you add nitrogen that it raises the acidity in the soil. He did say that he thought the raise would be negligible.

My dad's opinion is that commercial fertilizer would have a bigger impact on acidity rising than the litter would because the litter is adding organic matter and he said that organic matter tends to lower acidity.

So for whatever it's worth, there ya are.;)