Chestnuts

Discussion in 'Deer Management, Habitat & Conservation' started by truehunter, Jan 27, 2018.

1. truehunter

truehunter Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
    So tree guys . I pulled my chestnuts out of refrigerator about a week ago . Moved them into the greenhouse still in moist media. How long till they put out root ? Gurgulanus, letemgrow ? [​IMG]

horntagger likes this.
  2. truehunter

Dec 30, 2015
    Should I get them in fresh media maybe spread out in a thin layer ? I know gurgulanus does his in a container . Thanks for your help .

3. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

I'm not a tree guy. I sprouted chestnuts last year for live planting and they sprouted in the damp media in the fridge.

4. gurgalunas

gurgalunas Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2013
    Platte City
    If temp kept warm, I was thinking 10 days to 2 weeks. I'll have to look back in my notes though...

5. truehunter

Dec 30, 2015
    Ya I’m kind of worried because I don’t see any growth on mine .

6. truehunter

Dec 30, 2015
    I guess the warm nights in a greenhouse helps . My chestnuts are popping out over night .

7. truehunter

Dec 30, 2015
  8. truehunter

Dec 30, 2015
    Gurgulanus the one I gave a Clorox wash to clean off mold are sprouting also . I did have a couple bags that were a loss

9. truehunter

Dec 30, 2015
    IMG_1520863238.357712.jpg IMG_1520863267.081187.jpg my chestnut trees at doing pretty good so far . A gentleman stopped by the other day . He says he wants 20 in the fall .

horntagger likes this.
  10. CuivreDog2

CuivreDog2 Addicted Habitat Junkie

Mar 27, 2010
    Lincoln County, MO
    Looking good truehunter.

I would suggest that you turn that fan on in the background a couple hours a day to strengthen the stems as they appear to be getting tall and lanky. Trees grown outside are subject to wind and that helps harden/strengthen the stem, a situation not present within the greenhouse.

Keep babying them and best of luck!

gurgalunas likes this.
  11. gurgalunas

gurgalunas Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2013
    Platte City
    I always run my ceiling fan to move air. They will dry out much faster, so watch them until you get the hang of a new watering schedule.

12. truehunter

Dec 30, 2015
    Yes thanks guys . I’ve been watering about every third day . But if it’s sunny every other . Ya I have been running the fan some not on cold days though . Guess I should a little.

13. horntagger

horntagger Well-Known Member

Jun 30, 2003
    Southeast Missouri
    Have put landscape fabric around mine that I planted last fall want to put mulch should I do hardwood or cedar or does it matter?

14. truehunter

Dec 30, 2015
    I have fabric and mulch both on mine . Got mulch free from tree trimming company . Just keep mulch several inches from the trunk .

horntagger likes this.
  15. truehunter

Dec 30, 2015
    I would pull fabric up after second or third year . The voles like to make those weed mats home . They also will chew on the trunks of your trees . This coming fall I’m pulling up mats on my third year planting’s .

16. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    That and weed mats aren’t going to do much good after the first year. Seeds landing on top will still germinate and grow. I’m not a fan of mats, but understand that if you aren’t there regularly to maintain things it can get out of hand weed wise.

horntagger likes this.
  17. truehunter

Dec 30, 2015
    They still help with some weeds in my experience I spray outer edges of the mats with fly though

horntagger likes this.
  18. truehunter

Dec 30, 2015
  19. truehunter

Dec 30, 2015
    Horntagger ,good luck with your trees and keep us posted on your progress . Information is valuable to slot of us that are into growing .