Cheney Accident

Discussion in 'MWT Community Bulletin Board' started by Bronco Brian, Feb 16, 2006.

1. Bronco Brian

Bronco Brian New Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Georgetown, MN
    I guess if I shot my hunting partner I would be reluctant to share that with anyone except the proper authorities. I really don't understand, it happened and he will have to live with it. I think it might dampen my desire to do large group hunting(which I already don't like). What do you guys think?

2. Lefty

Lefty New Member

Jun 29, 2004
    MO
    I think it's just like any other thing...

If you're not careful and practicing good control, bad things can happen. And they obviously did to Chaney.

If you're hunting in a situation like Chaney was you HAVE to know where your hunting partners are and where they are going to be. It's just plain irresponsible to be so "gung-ho" with your shot gun and shoot without taking in the back drop...

BE SAFE!

As far as the media goes: I could care less!

3. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Mainsteam media was mad that they didnt get the scoop... thats all. "how dare you not tell us first"... geez..

4. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

Aug 31, 2005
    Cole County
    Rat, you got it man. :cheers: Bunch of whining little pansies.

5. Lefty

Lefty New Member

Jun 29, 2004
    MO
    CHAIRMAN PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR STEALING THIS OUT OF YOUR GALLERY!!!!

Just too funny not to post!

[​IMG]

:D

6. Amen!!!

I made it a point not to watch the news all week because I was so sick of hearing about the Cheney incident. I think with all we have going on in the world today that our main focus nationally should be on anything but Cheneys unfortunate hunting accident.

The media :stickfight:

We must all remember though that we created this MONSTER called "the media"

The bad news sells because were buyin it!!!

Nobody wants to hear about anything good today do they? :confused:

Well sorry for the rant. :soapbox:

7. Chairman

Chairman Senior Member

Dec 2, 2002
    Henry County

Man ~ you're fast... :bangin:

:D

8. Bronco Brian

Bronco Brian New Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Georgetown, MN
    When I was growing up we hunted in groups of 10 to 20 guys deer hunting in northern MN, I guess it wasnt till later in life that I figured out that I really like just hunting by myself or with one or two other people on a piece of ground that we can control where people are. And we still have fairly rigid rules about what and where we allow ourselves to do to minimize or chances of someone even getting close to being in the line of fire. We hunt alot of river front on the Red River so we cant control the hunters on the North Dakota side but we try to put some barriers between them and us. The last thing I would want to have to explain is why one of my bullets hit another hunter.

9. 67Firebird

67Firebird Chicken Man

I agree with Lefty. He should not have spun around to take a shot. If there's people in that direction you just let it go.

I passed up shots at the Pheasant hunt that I wouldn't have actually hit anyone, but it was too close to do it. If I'm going through my swing and I see someone in my peripheral vision reach a certain point I just pop my muzzle up towards the sky and watch the bird leave. No animal is worth harming a person.

Having said all that, the media is making more of it than they should. They should be talking about the tape of Saddam discussing what to do with their weapons of mass destruction. :rotfl:

10. sand_manms

sand_manms New Member

Dec 13, 2005
    South Mississippi
    They did an interview with a bird hunting guide and the news person tried their best to make it sound as if hunting was unsafe but the guy hit every question and statement just right and really placed the blame on the guy who got shot for walking up unannounced!

11. Mecheng

Mecheng New Member

Jul 15, 2003
    STL/Macon Co
    Guess I am surpised. At a lot of those hunting clubs you practically have to kick the quail with your shoe to get them to fly. The birds may be dumb but not stupid

Not a lot was said about either one of them not have hunting permits.:stickfight:

12. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

Aug 31, 2005
    Cole County
    CNN interviewed the editor-in-chief of Field & Stream magazine earlier this week. Talk about a joke. He was about the "unoutdoorsiest" person I'd ever seen or heard try to talk about the intricasies (sp?) of qual hunting. I found it quite humorous but angering at the same time.

13. Poor Valley

Poor Valley Active Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Rolla, Mo
    Boys, I don't intend to defend Dick Chaney. I think he is very capable of doing that himself. But there are a few things that need mention here. First thing is the people feeding YOU information don't have a clue what they are talking about. An outstanding example---the pix of the victums impact area. That was from a 28 ga with a bird choke at 30 yds! My turkey choke can't lay that kind of pattern with 3 times as many pellets! Most southern guail hunters use 7 1/2 or in a small gun perhaps no 8 or 9 shot.

This place is NOT a put and shoot operation. These birds are WILD.

Now to the shooter and the terrain he is hunting in. He is older than a lot of us he wears glasses (his shooting glasses are probably prescription ground and designed especially for bird shooting. He also appears to be wearing hearing protection in the photos. ... And then there is the terrain to consider....uneven with some brush. Another question is why didn't the lawyer see this coming and try to shield himself or get out of the way?

Now, lets put YOU in that situation....hunting with all the proper equipment focused and swinging on a slow rising quail, uneven terrain. Where can you not see well? The truth is your sight is impeaded for about 10 to 15 yards just by your actions of mounting the shotgun.

Raise some questions in your mind about my sanity?:confused: Truth is I don't know what happened on that hunt, but I do NOT think that guy was 30 yards from the source of that shot charge!:soapbox::soapbox::soapbox:

14. WhiteTailer

WhiteTailer Active Member

Apr 20, 2005
    Centralia
    THERE were some important rules Broken,

1 - Know whats behind your target.
    2 - Know your Target
    3 - Know where your hunting partners are at.

from what i heard, and the lay of the land, it would have been easy to Not see the man that was shot. but no matter he broke rule 3 and 1

its a mistake that i bet he wont ever make again. i think it was an honest mistake.

Dont believe all you see on T.V. make your own opnions based on information not what you hear.

15. blevely

blevely White Board Man

Jul 15, 2004
    Here and There
    Funny song on Bob and Tom lately.

Cheney's got a gun, keep him away from airforce one.

It's set to the tune of Janies got a gun by aerosmith. Funny stuff if you get a chance to listen to it.

16. Sprint#24

Sprint#24 Member

Dec 20, 2002
    Swamp East
    Its a shame that Bin Landen wasnt near by.

:pop: