Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
5,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone done this or know how to do it?

Any advice is appreciated!

·
Registered
38,393 Posts
First ya need the right tools!!!! Mailman has done a little checkering, maybe he'll weigh in...

·
Registered
70,521 Posts
I bought a checkering kit years ago (35) and have tried it a few times. Didn't do to bad but it sure is tedious work. Cabelas has a kit that is a lot better than I have and should be alot easier to use. Here lately I refinished the stock on my Marlin 917V .17 HMR. The original stock was the cheap looking berch light colored wood with pressed on checkering. I wouldn't have given you $10 for the whole stock like it was. I stripped it down and sanded it ready to stain and decided to try and improve on the checkering on the gun first. After recheckering the grip and forearm I used a Jacobean stain which is very dark on the whole thing. After about 4 applications of the stain I put on 4 coats of polyurethane gloss finish. Attached are a couple of pics of how it looks now. Sorry no before pics. Here is the link to the checkering kit at Cabelas .....http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=checkering+tools&noImage=0

Attachments

·
Registered
18,764 Posts
I can\'t, but...

I have never checkered, but know a few experts that do it for a living. Too tedious for me, I know I screw something up!
Here are a couple of examples from the people I know...but you already know who they are Jmac

Attachments

·
Registered
18,764 Posts
rifles

Attachments

·
5,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
HS, don't suppose they'd do a favor for a friend of a friend do you?

:D

·
Registered
18,764 Posts
Boy I don't know Jmac...I bet they do just checkering...give em a call and see what they charge, you might be surprised pleasantly

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.