Checked My Pines

Discussion in 'Deer Management, Habitat & Conservation' started by oneshot 1, Mar 2, 2006.

1. oneshot 1

oneshot 1 Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Ozarks
    Was planting Cedars.Went over checked how my 3 year old Pines are doing.

Deer have been doing a number on them.Lot of them are done for,some pretty beat up.Closer to the House they are doing ok.

Thinking I'm better off planting a few patches of Cedars,which I'm doing anyway.

oneshot
    :D The Big Grin likes the smell of Cedar anyway.

2. TOBRYAN

TOBRYAN Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2002
    Liberty, Mo
    Oneshot, I put some jack pines on my place back in 96, covered with cages 4 feet high, took the cages off in 98 and the deer still managed to kill about 1/3 of them...They just love those pines for rubbing...

3. huntforfunnfood

huntforfunnfood New Member

Jun 30, 2003
    new bloomfield mo
    man if its cold and snony seems they like to tip off all the young tender branches too i caged my but having a heck of a time getting them big enough to surive

4. hunter7x

hunter7x New Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Indiana
    One shot if you need me to stand guard over them pines just call me. I'm available some time between the middle of Sept through about the midddle of Jan !

Oh and I will need some sort of self defense in case one of those crazed deers tried to get me !!

:D

5. huntforfunnfood

huntforfunnfood New Member

Jun 30, 2003
    new bloomfield mo
    your so kind an always thinking of how to help others :bangin:

6. hunter7x

hunter7x New Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Indiana
    I'm thinkin me and the big grin can stand guard together ! :D

Yes HFFF I am here to help anyone and everyone !

7. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

You got some hawthorns that needed guarded:rotfl:

:cheers::cheers:

8. Thayer

Thayer New Member

Dec 17, 2005
    Imperial, Mo
    Why pines? i would suggest tree guards but not on pines.

9. oneshot 1

Jun 11, 2003
    Ozarks
    Guy from the Conservation said plant them for cover instead of Cedar.But this year I planyted Cedar.

oneshot
    :D The Big Grin can hide better in Cedar.

10. Thayer

Thayer New Member

Dec 17, 2005
    Imperial, Mo
    What kind of trees are on your property now? I would suggest going with the MDC's seedling list of trees that are natural for you area....A good cedar patch is hard to beat. What about a patch of bushes that are native to Missouri?

11. treestand hunter

treestand hunter New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    Florissant,MO
    We had planted about 600 white pines a couple years ago and the majority of them were eaten . I called MDC and they recommended the red pines. Well we planted 25 seedlings of them 3 years ago just to try em out and all but two are doing great. A couple have been rubbed on but not enough to kill them . I would say the reds we have are about 4-5 foot tall and 3-4 foot in diameter.

12. oneshot 1

Jun 11, 2003
    Ozarks
    Mostly various types of Oaks and Hickories.I've thinned some out to encourage undergrowth,which is working great.

I do have some Cedars coming on their own,I'm planting some just to give them a bit of kick start.Trying my best to keep Fires out for now.

I got laugh the other day.Up at the store there is a Hitching Post for the Horses,on over from it a Buck had came up in there and rubbed a Pine.

oneshot
    :D The Big Grin likes anything that is the Good Stuff.