Check Stations

Discussion in '2011 Whitetail General' started by kodiak1269, Oct 31, 2010.

1. kodiak1269

kodiak1269 New Member

Oct 3, 2007
    pacific
    Do any of you guys, and gals miss the old check stations?

I know i do! I used to enjoy pulling up and seeing what others had harvested!

I like the convienence of the tele check, but i sure miss the old check stations!

2. Lucky

Lucky New Member

Nov 20, 2002
    Moberly,Mo

3. Dane-ger

Dane-ger New Member

Jan 2, 2008
    That and there also used to be a big slaughter house in the town I lived in. I enjoyed driving by that too

4. yep I was thinking about that this morning, loved to see all those kids smiling :cheers:

5. Johnny

Johnny Crossbows!!!!

Sep 30, 2010
    Linn Co.
    We used to be a check station , I know I sure miss it . Nothing quite like being stuck at work , seeing everybodies deer , and hearing all of the stories .

6. CGPD255

CGPD255 New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Maybe since there are no check in stations people should start meeting at different places on Saturday of opening day to show off their harvest...

7. Cook

Cook Active Member

May 28, 2003
    Yep,I miss it...but I know the clerks at the local C-store/gas station don't.It was a PITA for them,didn't bring in extra money cuz they always came in anyways to buy stuff no matter where the check-in was..just clogged things up.

8. jwgossage

jwgossage New Member

I miss it too! Only my first year killing a deer did i have to take it there. but i remember as a kid going with my dad- Very cool for the kids- I miss it.

9. ymurf

ymurf Active Member

Nov 4, 2006
    Steelville, Mo.
    When I had the archery pro shop and liquor store we were the local check station and I really miss it.I got to see all the deer and hear the stories.

10. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    Miss it dearly. I hung around looking at all the deer that was brought in and listened to the stories told by the young hunters. Grins all around and now.....nothing but a computerized voice on the phone that doesn't even say congratulations. There is a cafe in Stover that some hunters meet for lunch or an evening meal that you can share your story.

My memories stopped when they closed down the check stations. Sad day in the hunting world.

[file]144789[/file]

11. psyopn

psyopn Member

Feb 16, 2009
    Bonne Terre, MO.
    it was always great to see some good deer at the end of the day if you got skunked. always lifted my spirits knowing there was always tomorrow to check mine.

12. Hideandwatch

Hideandwatch New Member

It was always a blast to pull into Northside Feed in Warrensburg and see all the trucks with everyone milling around looking over everyones deer. Sure do miss that. Check one in and return and someone else killed one, so make a u-turn and do it all over again. Fun stuff will greatly be missed.
    :cheers:

13. SHEDHEAD

SHEDHEAD New Member

Feb 15, 2008
    I worked at a feedstore that was a check station the last two years they had it...Enjoyed the heck out of it!
    Even if I wasnt workin I would show up to help for the fun of it.
    But now that we live somewhere else, I'm really glad we dont have it...Too far out of the way! And I dont know anyone in this area.

14. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    I do and I dont... I killed a buck about 12yrs ago during the week hunting by myself. It took me a while to get him hauled out and stuff.
    I went to a check station that was SUPPOSED be open until like 7pm but no one was there.
    I was lucky enough to drive 20miles to another that folks just happend to be there.
    Otherwise, I'da been in some kinda trouble I guess or I'da had to take it in all cutup the next day.
    I sure appreciate calling them in now without having to leave the farm.
    PLUS, this website is a better way to see everyone elses success. IMHO only of course.

15. woodcarver

woodcarver Active Member

Dec 15, 2005
    Smithville
    I don't miss it at all. It was a huge waste of gas, and time. Ours was at an ambulence barn and we would calll to make sure they were there drive five miles find out they got called out, drive home can't start butchering till its checked. It was a waste of time.

16. nastyjack63

nastyjack63 Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2006
    osage county
    Don't miss 'em one little bit. They were a hassle IMO.

17. coyotehunter

coyotehunter PURE KILLER

Jan 19, 2005
    mexico,mo.
    i don't miss them at all,but it would be nice if they opened it for youth and maybe made it option during that time:cheers:

18. boatcaptain

boatcaptain Active Member

May 31, 2010
    ELM TREE MO
    Yes and No. It was fun to look at everyone elses deer and hear the stories. But it sure is nice to just make a phone call without driving 20 miles.:thinking::shrug:

19. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

Feb 5, 2005
    I miss em for sure. Used to give me time to yak and drink a beer and yak some more!:cheers:

20. semodeerhunter

semodeerhunter New Member

Dec 25, 2002
    perryville mo
    I miss them used to hang out there saturday and sunday nights to see the deer and hear the stories.