Chariton Co Plot update

Discussion in 'Deer Management, Habitat & Conservation' started by rmr, Apr 14, 2006.

1. rmr

rmr New Member

Well been away for awhile finally got to do some work at the farm, I disc about 7 acres of food plots last night and
    am planning on going with beans, and round up corn in the
    hills and beans in the bottom
    also going to try 1 1/2acres of sunflowers for doves
    In the creek bottom will go with 41/2 acres of beans,
    and about 3acres of clover, by the way I frost seeded clover in my turnips and am getting a good stand . I will update
    with pics down the road all i have now is clover and heres what that looks like( last falls pic looks like this now). Good luck to all . O yea if you havent
    filled your old gas burning tractor up in awhile I burned about 60 dollars of fuel last night in about 31/2 hours.:frown:

2. riverbottomhunter

riverbottomhunter Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2005
    Chariton Co.
    rmr that a good looking plot. You got any turkey birds scouted up your way? My old man just got done panting a 80-acre corn food plot for me last night. This field borders our timber right where I got a stand so hopefully when they combine it in the fall Ill be able to stick one there.

3. hunter7x

hunter7x New Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Indiana
    I am so jealous !!

Good looking plot there rmr

4. rmr

rmr New Member

riverbottomhunter, I havent done much scouting this year been to busy chasing kids around 2 playing college softball
    1 running track in HS. they will either be in there or not
    I have hunted this place for 15 years and there is always
    1 or 2 there. Have you talked to my little brother, we took his
    boy out for the youth hunt and if we would have sealed the
    deal it would have been one of those hunts you see on TV
    I got the whole thing on video brian had them fired up
    we had 2 long beards and a jake at 15 yds he shot alittle low and the feathers puffed off ( big bird the natural thing to do is shoot at the body) Oh well hes just 6 he'll have alot more opportunities. I got about 1 1/2 hours of video
    of the gobbling in the tree right behind us I mean less than 50 yds and when 1 would gobble all three would go off.
    and the turkeys strutting into the decoys. after the shot one of the birds just went up the hill and gobbled and strutted for over a hour. one of the hens came back to the decoys but he had had enough and wouldnt come. It was a blast to take the little man out and he was a real hunter didnt conplain about the early hour or the cold.

5. riverbottomhunter

riverbottomhunter Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2005
    Chariton Co.
    I haven't got to talk with your brother about the hunt but I heard about it from another guy. Sounds like he had a great time and got to see a good show.