Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well we got a beautiful rain this week-end a little over 2 inches it came real nice, I ask for that rain but the beating
rain that Im getting right now I didnt just to set the record straight. I checked my plots llast night and the sunflowers are starting to come up I may have got them to thick we will see the corn I planted is starting to come up . and the beans I mixed in with the corn are starting up. If the ground doesnt get to crusted after this rain I should be ok.

I checked the plot in the bottom that had beans in it last year and well I disc it and after last week-ends rain beans
are coming up everywhere. I think when it dries up im going to take my planter and spot in where needed and call it good it almost looks like they were drilled right now,
this rain is not helping me the way its coming right now.
I made a earlier statement that it takes a long time to get dry but it can get to wet overnight i'm almost to WET.

Henry I checked the clover that I sprayed with SELECT and It didnt look to different I clipped the top of the clover last night I'll see if the grass comes back or not.

·
Registered
8,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mrb and henry, I checked my plots today and the SELECT is working it took forever but it has finaly started to show results. I have pics but cant down load to this computer.
the corn in my crp plots is growing and Obryan the beans I planted mixxed in with the corn are coming also but real slow. I have a good enough stand that Im not going to rework the plots for more beans because i have enough corn
in them My snflowers are coming on also I got them to thick hopefully they will make a head.

Now for my real problem, I had 5-6 acres of beans in the bottom last year and I disc the ground about a month ago. well before the rain, after the rain I have a pretty good stand on volunteer beans, My plan is to go in to the thin spots with the planter and spot in more beans. I have ask several people about the volunteer beans and I have had mixed reviews on whether they will make beans or not I would really like to leave them alone and spot in where needed anybody have any thoughts.

Clover plots look good and I will post pics as soon as possible,:cheers:

·
Banned
81,616 Posts
I think the volunteer beans will produce. I'm surprised they did'nt come up during an early warm spell and then freeze out. You must have disced them recently huh. That would'nt be any different than saving beans back from harvest to replant. What type of bean did you plant last year??? They sure are strong in the standability department to have held up that well.

:cheers::cheers:

·
Registered
8,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Henry you wont believe this but I have no clue I went to the elevator last year and told them I wanted to buy so many bushels of beans hopeing they were rr I planted them and they are the best beans I ever planted they stood all winter of coarse we didnt have much winter. I tested a little spot with roudn up before I sprayed thewhole thing. the beans cost 7.00 per bad already sacked up I wouldnt recommed it for everybody until I got a stand I was sweating it out. but it worked for me . oh yea they were a dirty mess in the planter boxes too. I think I figured out how to get a few pics from today here goes

Attachments

·
Banned
81,616 Posts
Your select is doing alot more than our Arrest has. I mentioned at the coop yesterday that I heard I should have used crop oil with the chemical. I also told them I was getting "O" results,,,,they are supposed to be checking on it for me. I put my sunflowers out yesterday,,,,,,I did'nt want to clean the drill for 1 acre so I tried broadcasting about 15 pounds after discing and harrowing, and then rolled them in. I'll just have to wait and see how it works out. I put 150 pounds of 16-4-4 (or sumpin like that) on.

:cheers::cheers:

·
Registered
7,522 Posts
Looking good rmr, they sure couldnt put neither one of us on the cover of get your rows straight magazine, hey but its just food plots and the critters will be smiling!!

·
Registered
8,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Obryan kind of looks like a drunken sailor did it doesnt it
I took the markers off my old planter all they are good for is to catch in the fence row, the big thing is its 40 inch rows so I try to cross it out to get more seed in the ground especially with beans/
I just got back from the farm and in the bottom where i have the volunteer beans coming I spotted in some more beans in the thin spots hope they come up, I would have liked to wait
but I was afraid if I got another rain or two on the worked ground it would get to hard and I would have to work the ground again. this might be the biggest experiment I have ever done gambling on these volunteer beans I hope it works. Its still early and If i have to tear it up and start over Im not out much so far.

·
Registered
7,522 Posts
rmr, I say as long as your feeling good...whatever!!!
My planter is 34"", and I dont use my markers either.
I try to go diagonal to my rows to get more seed in...
oh well at least its in the tractor and not at the full time job!!

·
Registered
8,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I spotted in to my volunteer beans last Sunday afternoon
we got 3-4 tenths on it Wed. night which should have been just right the beans are starting to swell but arent up yet.
they probably will take awhile with the cooler temps
i clipped the top of my clover last night clover looks great
and deer are hitting it hard I saw several places whrere they are bedding in it. will post some pics of the beans when they
start coming up. I left about a half acre plot in the bottom for a fall plot Might try something different in it or just put wheat or oats in it. It wont be turnips I was really disappointed in them last year.

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
Could I ask you to try some birdsfoot trefoil? Wonderful perrenial and delivers the proteins at crucial times of the year. Just would like to see how it does in Missouri.:cheers:

·
Registered
8,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
went to the farm last night, and am pretty depressed
the plots I planted on 4-23 look pretty good except
something is eating the tops of the corn plants, I think
they will come out of it and I have a good stand so Ill probably be ok they were weedy so I sprayed with round up
last night , the sunflowers look good, the clover in the bottom looks very good, the problem is, in the bottom where I had the volunteer beans that started coming up I spotted in with my planter in the thin spots , we got two little rains on it after I planted the beans in and the ground has crusted bad, and with the cool nights we had I have about a third of the newly planted beans coming up and the rest arent going to make it thru. What a mess!!!!!!
I still think I have to many beans up to replant but its still not a real good stand. the moral of this story is when
you try to get by cheap it bites you in the butt every time.
I should have waited and just planted the beans like normal
after the ground had warmed up and not tried to use
those volunteer beans that came up. Ill give them another week or so and Ill take some pics and you guys can help me decide what to do.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.