Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

2,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’d like to run cams with pics delivered to my phone or accessible by phone this year. One farm is a pretty far drive with spotty reception. Others are close but I want to further reduce intrusion until it’s time to go in and kill. Suggestions on cams/plan to run cameras over multiple farms?

· Grrrrrrr
30,190 Posts
Prepare to spend some money and if reception is spotty prepare to possibly be disappointed.

Have you looked at the Cuddelink system?

· Banned
81,617 Posts
@deepwoodsgoathunter got some thru his cell provider. He might weigh in here.

· Grrrrrrr
30,190 Posts
I prepared...
Reception is very good on two places, poor on the third. If it doesn't work so be it, but gotta give it a shot.
The cuddelink system doesn't require cell service so you might look at it....but it doesn't send pics to your phone unless you buy the cellular version. Check and find out if the cellular base cam receives pics from the non cellular remote cameras....if so you can use the non cellular remote cams to take pics and send them to the base camera which then might send the to your cell phone. Not sure if they've combined the two technologies or if they're separate.

I want to upgrade to cuddelink but the farm I hunt may become unavailable too me in the next year or so and that makes me hesitate on spending a bunch of money on trial cams right now.

· Registered
865 Posts
With a single cuddelink cell home or cell camera you can link the non cellular cuddelink cameras (up to 16 total cameras) and get pictures from all the cams on one cell service/line. As long as you place the cell home or cell camera in a place with a signal and the other cameras are close enough to link with it or daisy chain back to it you well get pictures from all the cameras. The worst aspect I have seen is battery life is below average (45-60 days depending on # of pics and signal) but I have read if you use the solar panel/charger then battery life is a year+ and essentially indefinite. I have some solar panels to try late summer/this fall but no actual experience with the solar panels yet.

· Land buying addiction
13,978 Posts
We have 8 cuddilink cams. They Ate 2 years old and only 4 work this year. The triggers are terrible and battery life is worse I thought they would last longer with 12 aa batteries but they don’t last very long. When they work the system is great but it is frustrating more than it works.

· Registered
2,658 Posts
Is the monitoring on these just an app or how does that work? My phone is paid for through work so if it's not an app I'm not sure how I'd add on to the plan.
Depends which one you get. Spypoint has an app you use to download your pics. Other cams require adding a line to your cell account. Cell cams are only good where there's good cell reception and they do eat batteries very quick. But where they work, they're very nice to have. Most cams run a little over a month and a half before needing batteries if using alkaline. Using lithium will buy you a few more weeks to a month. The lower the reception the more battery is used. So depending on how often you wanna go change batteries, you should consider other power options like solar or SLA batteries otherwise getting the cell cam defeats the purpose of avoiding having to go check it so often.

· Grrrrrrr
30,190 Posts
We have 8 cuddilink cams. They Ate 2 years old and only 4 work this year. The triggers are terrible and battery life is worse I thought they would last longer with 12 aa batteries but they don't last very long. When they work the system is great but it is frustrating more than it works.
That's disappointing. I knew you had the system...was hoping for a better review.

· Registered
20,349 Posts
In regards to the cellular cams available on the market today.....I don't feel the technology and efficiency is quite there yet. I'm definitely in the market and will eventually make the switch. It just needs to be the right piece of technology and equipment. I believe DWGH has cameras out that we're actually part of a security system like you would use around your house. His system isn't made by a trail cam company like Cuddie-Link or Spy-Point. If I lived on site or a lot closer to my farms I would definitely look into some type of "security" wireless outdoor camera system VS any of the cellular trail cam models on the market today. A system that not only sent pics to my phone but also sent video data to a DVR system-monitor in real time . How awesome would it be to have a Big Screen TV monitor rigged to wireless cameras over scrapes, food plots and travel corridors instead of pointed at your front door, back/front yard and driveway! Through a app on your phone not unlike the same app security companies use to send realtime video to your phone...

· Registered
2,658 Posts
DWGH has the Arlo cameras that only send video to your phone. They were originally marketed as a security camera for your house but since they were portable and can send video to your phone, he used it as a trail cam. I believe the downsides were that they came in white and only send video, not capable of sending pics.

· Registered
20,349 Posts
DWGH has the Arlo cameras that only send video to your phone. They were originally marketed as a security camera for your house but since they were portable and can send video to your phone, he used it as a trail cam. I believe the downsides were that they came in white and only send video, not capable of sending pics.
White Cameras...? Huh.... I happen to know a fella that has some paint for sale....

· Registered
865 Posts
Is the monitoring on these just an app or how does that work? My phone is paid for through work so if it's not an app I'm not sure how I'd add on to the plan.
It's a separate account/deal, not an add on to your current plan (mine was with Verizon and I don't have phone coverage with Verizon). The way I used it was e-mail, the cell camera would batch send all photos by e-mail on a set schedule (every 2 hours, 4 hours, etc.) you pick the frequency. Each camera has a name so you know where each group of pictures is coming from.

I am definitely a little concerned now to hear techteachers experience with cam failure itself. I only have 4 and only had them for one season thus far. I do have also have a 2 year warranty, but hope they last longer than 2 years.

· Registered
865 Posts
I have also had and used the Bushnell cell cameras and I really like them. The battery life was pretty good, most lasted a full season or 10,000+ pics with pictures sent instantly and the cams worked for several consecutive years. However, it was a separate cost for every camera and you had to have a cell signal in every location, this cost added up and limited were you could put them.

Browning reportedly has a cell camera scheduled to be released soon and it sounds like it should be pretty good from the little I read. I have liked my Browning regular cameras.

· Living The Dream
368 Posts
We have 8 cuddilink cams. They Ate 2 years old and only 4 work this year. The triggers are terrible and battery life is worse I thought they would last longer with 12 aa batteries but they don't last very long. When they work the system is great but it is frustrating more than it works.
I have several and love them. They have a 2 year warranty if you register them and 1 year if you do not. I have had one warranty issue on the 12 that I own and it was taken care of. I did buy solar chargers this year to help with battery life.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.