CDC Now Recommends Strongly consider having the deer or elk tested for CWD before you eat the meat

Discussion in 'Hunting News' started by flounder, Sep 12, 2017.

1. flounder

flounder Member

Feb 26, 2010
  2. beanpile

beanpile just a no body

"A negative test result does not guarantee that an individual animal is not infected with CWD, but it does make it considerably less likely and may reduce your risk of exposure to CWD."

and at the very bottom if you care to read that far

"However, to date, no CWD infections have been reported in people".

3. fishshooter

fishshooter Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Reform
    You can trust the government, just ask a Native American :innocent:

Deeraholic, doepee, pinwheel and 3 others like this.
  4. Reflex

Reflex Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2007
    Sullivan, MO
    Same Gov agency that produce the Flu shot that is filled with crap and the wrong strain every year............

5. mrmurph

mrmurph Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2005
    NW Missouri
    Well, I was told by a coworker last week that another coworker recently passed. They believe he was infected with CWD. I don't know any further specifics other than he was an avid outdoorsman that spent a fair time out west. He took ill and was dead 16 days later.

6. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    If this was really cwd related, it would be huge. Keep us posted what you hear.

7. mrmurph

Aug 15, 2005
    NW Missouri
  8. mrmurph

Aug 15, 2005
    NW Missouri
    It turns out the cause of death is labeled as Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease. The big question I have regarding these transmissible spongiform encephalopathy diseases is simply, what's the difference between them? If you search for CJD, Mad Cow (BSE), scrapie, or CWD, they are all shown to be caused by malformed prion proteins. I understand that diseases (influenza) and the like cannot jump from mammal type to mammal type due to differences in the genetic make-up from one type to the other but how does that rule apply to proteins? I have friends who tell me they are done eating deer meat and, to be honest, it weighs on my mind. I don't think the scientific community understands all aspects of the transmission rate. Here's something to think about... Mad cow disease MAY be passed to humans who have eaten infected flesh. If that is true, why wouldn't CWD pass the same way?

9. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Those are all good points. I dont understand it well enough to comment but it weighs on my mind as well.

10. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    When I pass you have my permission to check out what's left of my body to see if I passed from eating deer meat. But....what if I passed from lead poison from the bullet I used to kill the deer. That has been discussed in California.

Until then I'll keep on eating it.

11. mrmurph

Aug 15, 2005
    NW Missouri
    I understand your approach, it's just not necessarily the same approach I use.

12. Rack_Hunter

Rack_Hunter Sensitivity Aficionado

If you take your deer to a locker plant then you would have to test every package, every sausage and every piece of jerky to be 100% safe. You may get all of the deer you brought in, but they don't clean up everything between deer

WBF likes this.
  13. mrmurph

Aug 15, 2005
    NW Missouri
    My mind tumbles to worst case pretty quickly. Imagine a world where deer, elk, moose, bison, cattle, sheep- pretty much the entire red meat food supply is not safe to eat?

14. beanpile

beanpile just a no body

WOW.. your head must hurt alot

15. mrmurph

Aug 15, 2005
    NW Missouri
    LOL. It actually does.

16. bluecan

bluecan Long time listener, first time caller

Then that tick that can bite you and make you allergic to meat is suddenly a life saver.:quack:

mrmurph likes this.
  17. mrmurph

Aug 15, 2005
    NW Missouri
    There are solutions to every problem.

18. doepee

doepee Senior Member

Sep 17, 2004
    STL
    That diagnosis opens more questions...Was it determined he had CJD post OR prior to death? How old was he? Definitively weighs on my mind as well - especially feeding it to my family!

19. mrmurph

Aug 15, 2005
    NW Missouri
    Post mortem, 47 years old.

20. beanpile

beanpile just a no body