Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
you can take the class anywhere. Individuals offer the class so you have to find someone offering it

G

·
No you do not

You might try to contact the local sheriff's office and they might be able to give you a lead on a place that is have a class, and prices.

:cheers:

G

·
I have not yet since I have not been working but I am planing on taking a class as soon as I start working again

:cheers:

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Anybody know what the total cost for it all. I just read that the class is $100, then once you get your certificate you have to take it to the sheriff's office and pay another $100 dollars. Does this sound right?

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Just took it in columbia. the classes vary, but around $100 for the class and the permit varys depending on county you reside in but about $100 for it aswell

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
[rquote=1598957&tid=110887&author=Huckleberry]Anybody know what the total cost for it all. I just read that the class is $100, then once you get your certificate you have to take it to the sheriff's office and pay another $100 dollars. Does this sound right?[/rquote]

Hi, Huckleberry. It really depends on a couple of things. First, how much is a given instructor charging for the class? I've seen classes offered for as low as $40.00. Those prices generally don't include guns or ammunition, so you can figure another $30.00 for ammo (+/-), and if you don't have your own guns, they'll usually charge you an additional $10.00 rental fee per gun that you use. In a nutshell, the original $40.00 price quickly goes up to around $100.00.

When you start shopping for an instructor, find out EXACTLY what is included in the price you are paying. For example, a lot of instructors are using .22 handguns and ammunition, which costs MUCH less than the centerfire handguns and ammunition that others provide. Just for comparison sake, my organization is located here in Central MO, and we charge a total of $100 for the class. That includes centerfire handguns, ammunition, targets, hearing and eye protection, and all printed course materials.

The cost at the sheriff's office all depends on the county you live in. As per Missouri statute, the sheriff cannot charge in excess of $100 for the application process. Some charge less, and some charge the maximum amount. You will have to contact the sheriff in YOUR county to know for sure what they are charging. Just as an example, here in Gasconade County the sheriff charges $98.00 for the application process, whereas in St. Louis County, they are currently charging $76.00 for the same procedure.

I would be happy to recommend a couple of instructors in your area that I personally know. If interested, let me know.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
If you are ever around springfield a guy offers the class in Ozark once a month. Same guy that tought the one in columbia I took and it was a great class. Tim Oliver at learntocarry.com

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
[rquote=1599032&tid=110887&author=looking_for_guns]You have to be 23 to be able to carry concealed

:cheers:[/rquote]

That is not so. You can get a non-resident Maine permit at 18. Florida and Utah both issue at 21. In Missouri, we recognize EVERY valid permit issued by any state or political subdivision thereof. It is entirely possible and legal for an 18 year old to carry a concealed handgun in MO. :cheers:

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
[rquote=1599040&tid=110887&author=greenheadsmoker]How exactly can you purchase one though?[/rquote]

An 18 year old can be gifted a handgun, or can buy one from a private individual. You only need to be 21 or older to purchase a handgun from an FFL holder.

G

·
I dont want to sound like i dont believe you because i most certainly do but could you possibly show me or direct me to the law so i could show this to someone because i would really like a handgun :cheers:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.