Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking of doing some catfishing this weekend on this part of the river, putting the boat in near Old Monroe, MO. I'm not the most experienced cat fisherman out there. Does anyone have any tips on baits and what parts of the river to fish (like around wingdams, etc)?

·
Registered
6,357 Posts
lets see my experience is to sit on shore in chair at night,some stink bait with a bell and a cold beer in hand,keep drinking till bell rings :D

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Originally posted by Pipe
lets see my experience is to sit on shore in chair at night,some stink bait with a bell and a cold beer in hand,keep drinking till bell rings :D
That's my type of fishing right there! :cheers::cheers:

·
2,691 Posts
cisco, hatch pretty well said it. Anchor on the down stream side of wing dams and islands in the slack water. If you have a depth finder try to find the scour holes that they will be in. At night fish the flats around sand bars. Sonny's, hot dogs in licorice oil, crawlers and the old stand by chicken liver. If you can catch some shad cut bait is good. For flatheads get some gold fish at the hwy79 bait shop. By the way, the area you are describing is the upper Alton pool. The Winfield pool is upstream of the dam.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Turkey liver works good to, it's a little tougher than chicken liver and stays on the hook better when you cast it, thats what I'll be using tonight on the Current River. Good luck;)

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the tips guys, keep 'em coming.

What is the best way to fish Sonny's???? Also, I do have a cast net to get some shad with. So I plan on using some cut bait. When cutting up shad for bait what part of the shad makes the best bait?????

Rainbow - You're right about this being the Alton Pool. My bad...

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
Be sure and dip the baited dipworm in the water for a few seconds before you cast it... I rig it like a carolina rig with at least 24" from my weight to my dipworm.

·
Registered
405 Posts
no rainbow I use a large gold wire hook not sure what size, I went over the 4th holiday and got 14 cats and 1 softshell, I guess if you ever get into big cats you would need stronger hooks, but in the Current River the water is so cold the cats just do not get very big, someone at work told me about a 9 pounder that was taken last week out of the Current, it must have been an old monster, now the walleyes are a different story, there a few 10 pounders and up taken from the Current and the Black River every year, I'm going to have to start fishing for them real soon.:cheers:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.