Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Very happy with Axis, but I am going to be giving Beman Black Max Elite a try. They have an unreal straightness of .001. Pretty impressive.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I've never shot any, but I've been looking at purchasing Cabelas Carbon Hunter arrows. They are 12 for $44.99. They have a straightness factor of ± .006"
Does anyone shoot these?

This is the product description on the site:

Now you can enjoy all the speed, performance and strength of a top-quality carbon arrow for a price much less than many aluminum arrows. But don't be fooled by their low price. With a straightness factor of ± .006", adjustable nocks and aluminum inserts, these arrows have many of the same qualities and features as carbons costing twice as much. Five-layer carbon construction gives them the durability and strength to last you through season after season of use in the field and at the range. Arrows come fletched with 4" straight vanes with 4° offset, arrow shafts are 31", aluminum inserts are included, but not installed. Per 12.
Sizes:
55-70 lbs.
65-80 lbs.
Shaft weight (grains per inch):
55-70 lbs. - 8.7
65-80 lbs. - 10
Insert weight (grains):
55-70 lbs. and 65-80 lbs. - 21
Nock weight (grains):
55-70 lbs. and 65-80 lbs. - 13

·
5,632 Posts
First, carbons are GREAT. I wouldn't even consider switching back to aluminums. Have no reason to.

Aces, I'd spend another $15-$20 for a dozen and at least go with Easton ST Epics. They have a straightness of +/-.005" and from the looks of it they'll be alittle bit lighter (shaft AND nock). Plus, they're proven. You can get the ST Epic bare shafts for about $5 each. I'm not sure but I think you can even step up to the Axis for $6-$7 each and those are awesome arrows, also.

·
Registered
18,259 Posts
I won't go back to alum.
Just don't eat the entry or exit wound, could get that carbon in you and get poisoned !!!!!

:roll2: :neuspeuter:

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
I shoot Gold Tip, very happy with them. Just a personal preference. Make sure you put your ear close and flex, if it makes any noise like cracking or popping toss it in the trash.

·
Registered
38,393 Posts
Gold tips here too...If I can't tear em up, they gotta be good!!! I've been shooting the same dozen for 6 years!!! OK, maybe I don't still have a full dozen...down to 8 now....lol

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,499 Posts
Originally posted by hunter7x
I won't go back to alum.
Just don't eat the entry or exit wound, could get that carbon in you and get poisoned !!!!!

:roll2: :neuspeuter:
:hysterical: And this 'theory' is VERY goofy.......cause.....if you shoot a deer with a bullet......don't eat the entry or exit wound either! :hysterical:

I'm with you hunter7x..... :roll2: :neuspeuter:

Parker

·
Registered
280 Posts
Carbons are the Only arrow to shoot IMHO. Started shooting them in the late 90's and took Seven different bucks with the same arrow! Never even refletched it believe they were GameTrackers.

Picked up some GoldTips the otherday with a different bow and started to sight in, first arrow went about a foot high of the target and into the barn.. A nice hole arrow Burried about 10 inches THROUGH the 1 by 10 pine lumber, pulled the arrow out and checked it, shot again and bullseye... I know the aluminum arrows I used to shoot would never take that kind of abuse! Carbons all the way!!!

·
Registered
70,468 Posts
You fellas that already shoot carbons...do you buy them ready to shoot or do you build your own. The reason that I ask is that I too have thought of switching to carbon from aluminum shafts. I build and fletch my own aluminum arrows. Can a fella still do this with the carbon shafts? Or are they indestructable like some have said?

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I build my own but the factory arrows built today are very good. I build mine due to many factors including my wanting to shoot blazer vanes and having to know that if something screws up it was me and not the prebuilt arrows.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I have mine built for me, PowderHorn in Columbia does this and I believe they do Blazers too. I shoot feathers only on carbons for better flight and they shoot Nice, have shot alot of them in plastic though. Carbons in my opinion are pretty much indestructable you can pull them from the target and don't have to worry about pulling them Exactly straight out. Something I do find funny now though is the size resembles aluminums, carbons used to be Very small in diameter by comparison.

With an aluminum arrow I always had to pull them just perfect so as not to bend and there was absolutly No shooting into dirt.. My target now is a dirt bank alot of the time, even let my 5 year old pull the carbons with no worries.... When was the last time you shot an aluminum through a 1by piece of pine? I'm serious this isn't the first time it has happened and simply pull the arrow, check it and shoot it right there.

No problems yet with 3 different guys shooting carbons since they came out, one of my buddies was shooting them even before you could buy them. He now shoots somekind of carbon Weave arrow, dang things look like spider web.. Someone would have to buy aluminums for me as needed or Bent before I'd go back, even then I probably wouldn't!:dancin:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.