Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I headed to my local archery shop yesterday afternoon to have some new arrows made. I have been shooting Easton carbon/aluminum composits and really like the way they have been grouping for me. For whatever reason I had been thinking about switching to carbon arrows. I guess I thought with a lighter arrow I would expierience less drop at distances. I talked it over with the shop owner and he actually talked me out of the carbons. He claimed that there are often inconsistencies with carbon arrown from batch to batch and that he has expierience flight problems with a LOT of them. I wasn't sure whatto think as this went against everything I have ever heard about carbon arrows. But...I did decide against the carbons. Partly because I respect this shop owner and his expierience and partly because I'm shooting well now and why mess with a good thing...

I'm just curious as to what the rest of you think about this. Was he just trying to sell me the more expensive carbon composits?

·
Registered
18,764 Posts
Yes.

Carbon arrows are as consistant as anything can be, some carbon arrows. Like anything there are different weight and straightness tolerances. You get what you pay for in the carbons just like any other arrow. Mine are $125 a dozen all built up and they are the best flying arrows I've ever shot.
He either doesn't know as much as you give him credit for, or he is taking advantage of you.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I'll agree with Hoytshooter. They don't come any straighter nowadays with tolerances as little as .001. Yes, inconsistancies were common in yesterdays carbon, but not any more. I used to shoot those Easton ACC comp's, and they are very nice arrows. I just can't justify the cost to keep em in the quiver!

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmmmm....

The Easton ACCs I bought were $145 all built up. It is what I was expecting to pay but it kinda irks me to think I might have been misslead for the bigger sale.

I'm going to give this guy the benefit of the doubt and not mention the shops name on here--just as with anything personal preference and expieriences can varry. However, that said, I still think I will be looking for a new shop to bring my business to.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
I got carbon w/my PSE bow pkg and now I cant get new ones like them locally. They are the Radial weave STL Hunters. Scheels doest sell them, even though thats where I bought my pkg. They say people dont want them. Anybody heard anything bad about these arrows? They seem good to me, but then what do I know!

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
BB

I would just try to find some online at Ebay or something. You will be able to find them there and they may be cheaper there. You can get them fletched at your local shop or you could purchase a fletching tool and start to do your own. I like the last choice, as I think I do a better job than most shops.

DWB

I usued to shoot ACC's and I really like them. I think they will outpenetrate regular carbons and the speed you gain will not be noticed much. The only reason I switched was because I started shooting 3d tournaments and I need larger diameter shafts. I went to Easton 2312 X7's and shot them until I switched to Carbon Express 3d selects for their durability. I got tired of getting arrows straightened and throwing arrows away when they got creased. The only thing I like better about carbons vs. acc's is the durablility and fletching clearance. Also, I wouldn't discredit your pro shop. I have noticed a lot of carbons that didn't fly well but that was several years ago. If you go with arrows with .003 straightness tolerances or better you shouldn't have a problem.

What kind of rest do you shoot with those ACC's?

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,499 Posts
Originally posted by danceswithbooze
I'm just curious as to what the rest of you think about this. Was he just trying to sell me the more expensive carbon composits?
My .02......you got had.

My carbons are $80 a dozen, and if you need me to take some pictures of my groups at 40 and 50 yards, I will. That means I'm getting 22 arrows to your dozen.

I'm on my......I think.....3rd dozen of these arrows in 5 or 6 years (from breaks on deer and hitting other arrows) and I've NEVER pulled a 'bad arrow' out of the group.

I think you walked out of the shop, and he said......CHA CHING.

Parker

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by Landlover

I'm shooting a whisker Biskit with them.

Truth be told he probably was working me over a bit on the upsale. Am I totally broke up over it? No. I really like the groups I have been shooting with the ACCs I just thought that perhaps the carbons might have given me that little extra edge.

The ACCs are giving me some great penetration. They have proven to be some deer killin mo-fos.

PS-- BB my family is originally from Moorhead and Bemidgi...

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I had hoped you were either shooting a WB or a drop-away, so fletching clearance on those small diameter arrows wasn't an issue.

I had a buddy that switched from ACC's to some cheap carbons (don't remember the brand) and he thought that his bow was shooting them a lot faster because they hit higher on the target. What happened was that he didn't adjust his tm prong style rest and the arrow was just shooting higher because they were sitting higher on the rest. He was very disappointed when he shot it through a chronograph and gained a whole 3 fps. His groups were better with the ACC's and he never did get his carbons to shoot broadheads well.

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,499 Posts

Truth be told he probably was working me over a bit on the upsale. Am I totally broke up over it? No. I really like the groups I have been shooting with the ACCs I just thought that perhaps the carbons might have given me that little extra edge.

The ACCs are giving me some great penetration. They have proven to be some deer killin mo-fos.

Shoot what makes you happy and confident. :D

Parker

·
Registered
224 Posts
DWB
Is that shop in Old Town St Petes? They have a great rep and I can not see them steering you wrong. Unless you had one of the younger guys working with you and he had a personal opionion. If it is St petes, go back and talk to Mike himself.
The joint in Wentzville on the other hand....

·
Registered
449 Posts
Originally posted by stlmowgli

That's the one I was wondering about.(I can't remember the name) I have talked to him on a couple of things and he is full of nonsense in my book. :stickfight:

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Originally posted by stlmowgli
DWB
Is that shop in Old Town St Petes? They have a great rep and I can not see them steering you wrong. Unless you had one of the younger guys working with you and he had a personal opionion. If it is St petes, go back and talk to Mike himself.
U2U @ you

·
Jenny's Lackey
47,529 Posts
DWB,
I wouldn't get too down on the shop owner. I've been out of the loop for a few years, but for competition, there is nothing better than ACC's. When the first carbons came out, they were very inconsistant in weight & straightness. The technology of today has improved on both of those problems to my understanding. I hunt with middle of the road carbons & my groups are pretty consistant out to 30 yds. If I ever go back to shooting 3d, I'll be packing ACC's in my quiver.

·
Registered
18,764 Posts
Pinwheel.....

If you are thinking about getting serious into 3D or any other outdoor shooting I'd look past the ACCs and start checking out the ACE shafts...even better

·
Jenny's Lackey
47,529 Posts
Shot ace's once. I've still got them. They almost take a degree to figure out how to cut them. They have to be cut the exact same distance from each end in order to keep the bulge in the center. They are super fragile when pulling from the 3d target. I'll stick with acc's.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
DWB, they told me the same thing. As you know I still kept reaearching and find there is more than one opinion and since he is the only opinion in that store I now use Gatewayas my archery supplier of choice. There are more people there to give you their opinion and you can formulate your own Final Answer. Leet's go go shoot!

·
Registered
38,393 Posts

If it ain't broke, don't fix it....if the ACC's are groupin good, and killin deer, what more can ya ask for? Yea, you prolly got a little bit mislead, but you are shootin a top of the line arrah!!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.