CAR TROUBLES GOT ME STUMPED

Discussion in 'Social Club' started by 1FastCam, Jun 5, 2009.

1. 1FastCam

1FastCam New Member

Nov 25, 2002
    CT
    Ok. 1993 Nissan 4x4, 2.4cyl, 5 Speed.

Truck will start and idle fine. You can drive it out of the driveway, and on flat roads fine. Once you start going up a hill it will start bucking and stalling. After it does it once it does it regardless of road conditions.

Computer flashed a 55 (all clear). So, Im guessing its mechanical and not electrical.

the only mechanical items in the fuel delivery are the filter and the pressure regulator.

The filter has been replaced, but the regulator is $120 so I'd rather not buy one on a whim.

Would the regulator cause this problem?

2. Big John

Big John Active Member

Oct 24, 2003
    Is it carbed or injected? if it is carbed it could be excellerator pump........

3. 1FastCam

1FastCam New Member

Nov 25, 2002
    CT
    Yup Throttle Body.

4. Mecheng

Mecheng New Member

Jul 15, 2003
    STL/Macon Co
    I would guess the electric fuel pump. I doubt the computer system is sophisticated enough to tell it's not providing enough pressure.

5. Jeremy

Jeremy REGULAR MEMBER

Dec 22, 2006
    step one, get a fuel pressure gauge on the test port, and check your fuel pressure with your specs., if you dont have a gauge, or dont have access to one..i'm sure you have a rubber mallet. drive the truck, when it starts bucking...pull over leaving it idle, get under it and smack the :toilet: out of the bottom of the gas tank with the rubber hammer. get back in and drive. if its not bucking anymore, you need a fuel pump. this isnt 100%, but there hasnt been many bad pumps we couldnt get to work by smacking the gas tank.
    if thats ok, check plugs, cap, wires, rotor.....sounds like a misfire

the computer systems/diagnostic systems were mediocre at best in 93, which is why i'm not surprised there are no codes.

6. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    Question for Jeremy...

Are they still having problems with the cataletic converters plugging up like they did back in the early 80"s? I had an 81 Cutlass that the converter got plugged up and wouldn't pull a hill faster than 25 mph. Straight away she did fine. Ended up popping the plug under the converter and scraping out all the little white compressed balls that look like styrofoam and ran the exhaust straight through. Wasn't legal but it worked for me at the time when I wasn't so Rich and couldn't afford the $400 price tag for a new converter.

:smiley:

7. Jeremy

Jeremy REGULAR MEMBER

Dec 22, 2006
    yes and no, the new cats block up...thats due to this crappy gas their selling now. usually though, when these new cats clog, or break apart even on flat ground you wont be able to go above 25mph. the exhaust will turn cherry red from the heat not being able to escape and your floor will feel like a frying pan. they dont have the pellets in em anymore, now they have what looks like a honeycomb that the exhaust flows throw. i have seen quite a few people knock them out and run em straight through....problem is now, with pre and post cat o2 sensors, and especialy the new pre cat o2 sensors also being backpressure sensors...it can lead to some serious running issues.

8. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    I didn't have that Cutlass that much longer anyway. The X wife ran it on the Interstate with the idiot light on telling her that it was overheating for 20 miles till she quit. Weren't a drop of water in that engine when she seized up.

Sold her for body parts.....the car that is. Probably couldn't get a quarter for the X's. But she was a good cook.