Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I was in my teen's and 20's I loved to hunt small game. Had squirrel and rabbit dogs that couldn't be beat. Hunted groundhogs with a passion. Loved to roam the autum woods and hunt squirrels(without a dog) even hunted quail, bullfrogs. If it was huntable and leagal I did it.
But, over time as the rabbits disappeared along with groundhogs etc. I just can't seem to make myself shoot a squirrel or any small critter anymore. Now deer , turkeys,wild boar and bears are a different story but I'm beginning to only make a half hearted effort for them.
What is happening to me, does this occur as hunters get older ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,661 Posts
You are moving between the "stages" of hunting and fishing.

Stages:

(1) Just get something
(2) Get a limit
(3) Get a trophy
(4) The method is more important than the result

Supposedly we all progress and/or enter in and out of these various phases throughout life.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,480 Posts
I had done the same. I took my son so he could try and get us some squirrels. We had a ball and I got the fever again now. Just try it again see if the flame ignites........:wave:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38,393 Posts
Maybe it's the "get more for your money" syndrome....lol. I am the same way, growing up, we actually had a few rabbits to hunt, seems there are less now...Used to frog hunt all summer long...now I hardly do, maybe once every other year. Good eatin, taste like chicken!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,451 Posts
Hasn't happened to me yet. You'll have to ask someone older than me. I'm only 63 years old.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,027 Posts
Originally posted by caf4
You are moving between the "stages" of hunting and fishing.

Stages:

(1) Just get something
(2) Get a limit
(3) Get a trophy
(4) The method is more important than the result

Supposedly we all progress and/or enter in and out of these various phases throughout life.
caf4 that is an intresting take on the stages of hunting.
sure not the stages i have always heard:bangin:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,772 Posts
Bear, I'm the same way. Just don't seem to have the heart to pop those small critters anymore. Actually have found it is happening to me with all game not just smal critters. Well except for turkeys.

Jack
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,246 Posts
For me it was age and TIME and responsibilities..kids in sports, went from worker to business owner....that kind of thing. Now I put all my eggs in the basket I like to eat out of the most which is bowhunting. That other stuff is still fun and I like to do it from time to time, just not with the passion I had before life got in the way.
 

·
VECtor Custom Calls
Joined
·
41,463 Posts
caf,

You left out a really good one that I hold a lot of respect for:

The experience of being in the outdoors, not worried about killing anything, or shooting.

And no, I don't consider myself in this stage, but my dad is, and its awesome to hear his stories about his hunts.

Parker
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38,393 Posts
I'm about 75% number 4, and 75% number 3.....lol....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,315 Posts
I guess I am kinda the same way. When I lived in Mo. I would squirell hunt all the time when I was younger. But I think that sometimes things change in your life and affect other aspects of your life. Sometimes its hunting I guess.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,661 Posts
Parker, your stage you mentioned is included in #4. The article I saw years ago talked about people in this stage just wanting to fly fish or archery hunt or wanted to take a deer off their land with their hand loaded ammunition or just wanted to be outdoors and didn't even care if their gun was loaded or not. Part of that stage was also wanting to be a mentor to your kids and grandkids.

Luckily, the article talked about how we can migrate between stages, be in more than one at once, etc. based on the critter we are chasing, our life conditions, etc.

I myself kind of consider myself a little bit in all of the categories at the moment.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,480 Posts
Originally posted by caf4
. Part of that stage was also wanting to be a mentor to your kids and grandkids.
Exactly.....My son and soon the grandkids.
 

·
VECtor Custom Calls
Joined
·
41,463 Posts
Originally posted by caf4
Parker, your stage you mentioned is included in #4. The article I saw years ago talked about people in this stage just wanting to fly fish or archery hunt or wanted to take a deer off their land with their hand loaded ammunition or just wanted to be outdoors and didn't even care if their gun was loaded or not. Part of that stage was also wanting to be a mentor to your kids and grandkids.

Luckily, the article talked about how we can migrate between stages, be in more than one at once, etc. based on the critter we are chasing, our life conditions, etc.

I myself kind of consider myself a little bit in all of the categories at the moment.
AH! I see your point caf. In the current MO Hunter Education manual, they are seperated out, with the meaning that 'method' means bow, gun, atlatl, etc.

Got cha man! I too agree that I fall in to all of the categories. I think I fall in a different category depending on what I am hunting, and my mood of the day.

(EX: best lay low when I'm rabbit hunting! Cause I'm shooting! :banana: ) :D

Parker
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,514 Posts
I hate to say this but I really have the feeling that the MDC is putting major push on Deer and Turkeys for the simple fact numbers are easier to maintain and they bring in more money.

If they were more intrested in pushing Small Game they would be pushing for a change on Farming Practice and Predator Control.

The way it stands there is far less Rabbits and Quail.

With Deer Season taking up 4 months I'm almost scared to take Beagles out.

oneshot
:D Mice for the Big Grin is Big Game.
 

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
Joined
·
70,975 Posts
I still like to kill bunny rabbits.... I just wait til after archery season closes to do it....:sniper:

Be vewie quiet.... I'm hunting wabbit...:rotfl:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,772 Posts
Thats, quiet with a W. QWIET!!:eek:

Jack:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:
 

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
Joined
·
70,975 Posts
Originally posted by JackJr
Thats, quiet with a W. QWIET!!:eek:

Jack:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:
Hoover dam!.....

Forgot the speel chekar agin.
 

·
PURE KILLER
Joined
·
38,020 Posts
don't have that problem yet,as long the tree rats keep eating on my blind the 17 continues to bark.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,480 Posts
i]Originally posted by caf4[/i]
. Part of that stage was also wanting to be a mentor to your kids and grandkids.
[/quote]

Exactly.....My son and soon the grandkids. [/quote]

Meant my X's grandkids. I am not old enough for that nonsense. I'll sure take em hunting and fishing anyway.........:hysterical:
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Top