Caney Mountain CA...

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting General' started by MOGC, Mar 26, 2009.

1. MOGC

MOGC Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2008
    SE Ozark's
    Any of ya'll ever hunt the Caney Mountain Conservation Area? Looks like I'll be hunting there the second week of the season and wondered if anyone had any experiences and tips to share? Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

2. oneshot 1

oneshot 1 Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Ozarks
    I like going on Trail #1,you should have 4WD but 2WD is doable.Get way back up on top,I've always found birds up there.

oneshot
    :D The Big Grin is wanting to Deer hunt there.

3. MOGC

MOGC Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2008
    SE Ozark's
    Thanks for the advice, it is appreciated! Hey any advice about a decent place to stay at a hotel ect. and eating joints that are close would be helpful too!

4. oneshot 1

oneshot 1 Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Ozarks
    Sorry I always just camped down there.I'm sure there is very good places in town.

Side note I'm hoping to get back down there hunting.Last time I had all kinds of Pictures my Camera got stolen before I got them off :whinging:

oneshot
    :D The Big Grin wants to just go down have a Lookaround.

5. limbhanger28

limbhanger28 Active Member

Feb 6, 2008
    southwest Missouri
    There is a super 8 in ava that will probably be the closest i dont think gainesville has one. I had a buddy who worked down there for a while and he said he would go disc a food plot and come back in 30 minutes and there would be a big flock of gobblers in it. I have always heard though that it is kind of hard to hunt because there are so many gobblers, but i have never hunted it myself to find out.

6. Porter

Porter Active Member

May 10, 2005
    Southwest, MO
    I think there might be a local motel in gainesville (not 100% sure about that), but your best bet will be Ava or camp. Lot's of camping areas around there.

7. olebuck

olebuck Member

Aug 20, 2007
    De Kalb, Missouri
    There is a motel called the Antler Motel on Hwy 5 in Gainesville. Bettter bring your tennis shoes for them hills on CMR as they are Mountains!!! Very Steep. Lots of birds everywhere but you'll probably find most around NW side as there are more fields for them to play in. Don't know they name of trails but I have been in there quite a bit. Used to have our farm across on other side of 5 HWY. Good luck!!!

8. MOGC

MOGC Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2008
    SE Ozark's
    Guys I really do appreciate the advice and help. Having never been in the area before it gives me a starting place and that is a big help when you only have a very limited amount of time. I'm listening and will follow up on the advice. If ya'll think of anything else, it is appreciated and I'm all ears.

9. KixGrizz

KixGrizz New Member

Dec 30, 2008
    Way Out Here
    Been there many times. I live about an hour away from gainesville and I work in Ava.. If I was you I would stay out of zone 2... it sucks bad.. there is only one parking lot there and its all thick nasty woods and hills with no food plots.. I know during deer rifle season you can not hunt in zone 1 unless you draw for it but im not sure how it works for turkey season.. Zone 1 has like 48 or so different food plots in it and a ton of turks and deer.. If you can hunt I would hunt zone 1 and food plot #10 or food plot #28.. Each food plot is clearly marked with a sign that says what number it is..I always see turks around those plots more than any other.. If you cant hunt zone 1 go to zone 3.. good luck and take some cool pics.

10. MOGC

MOGC Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2008
    SE Ozark's
    Good info, thanks Kix!

11. KixGrizz

KixGrizz New Member

Dec 30, 2008
    Way Out Here
    No problem sir.. Oh and as far as hotels go.. Ava's super 8 is probably the best hotel around this area however you will have a good 35-40 minute drive to get to zone 1 CA in the mornings before your hunt so you may want to find one a little closer in Gainesville. the super 8 in ava is $89 a night BUT they also take a $100 dollar deposit off your card but youll get that back when you leave.. so make sure you have an extra 100 bucks you dont plan on spending when you check in.

12. garrbear07

garrbear07 New Member

Feb 1, 2018
    Hey I was wondering what you found on this hunt. Where did you have your success? A buddy of mine is trying to get into this hunt this year and we're wanting all the help we can get. Anything is appreciated.

13. deep woods goat hunter

deep woods goat hunter Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Moberly, MO
    Hunt the afternoon's, I hear the pressure isn't as bad.

tcwild likes this.
  14. Alaskageek

Alaskageek Member

Jan 25, 2018
    Is there a map you are looking at for the zone#'s and food plot#'s and trail #'s?

15. MOGC

MOGC Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2008
    SE Ozark's
    We stayed in Gainsville at one of the two motels there. It was a dump, I wouldn't stay there again. There was a very good country diner on the way out to the conservation area. I'm sorry, I don't remember the exact names or addresses of the places. Been awhile since the original post. It rained sideways the entire time we were there. Literally poured down for three straight days non stop and we really didn't get much hunting time in. We left early, came home and when the rain stopped a few days later I went out to the MTNF and killed a gobbler and a hog the same morning. I've never applied again because it just isn't an advantage since you're using your regular tag anyway.