Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner

21 - 40 of 251 Posts

·
Registered
69,438 Posts
Really don't think it would matter all that much. Egg suckers will still be egg suckers. Their numbers need to be cut in half. Maybe a bounty like they had on coyotes years ago when I was a young pup.

·
Registered
21,657 Posts
Eliminate the fall season, gun and archery, right now and shorten the spring season to 2 weeks like it was before the change some 20 years ago. In reality that wasn't long ago and a majority of active hunters remember the 2 week turkey season. If regulations can change with increasing numbers, why can't it change for decreasing numbers?

If we have the mentality that predators who hunt wild turkeys all through the year do not have a hand in the number of turkeys we have in the state, why have seasons for us humans? We are predatory animals and should be allowed to hunt them all year long with little affect on numbers. Just give us 2 tags to use anytime throughout the year. We get our two gobblers and we all know you just need one in the county to have a .8 ph. Gobbler numbers are unimportant to the stock anyways. The hens are the important factor here but we can still shoot a few of them too. With having a poult/hen ratio of .8, the numbers come out much better for the arguement than if it was 2.0 or more. It's all how you look at it. 2000 hens won't help out with only 1 poult surviving each year over her 3-5 year lifetime. 2000x1x4 is much sounding better than 2000x2x4. In a perfect reality thats 8000 more birds over the 4 years but it's just a drop in the bucket so who cares.
I am good with 2 gobblers a year! And zero hens, bearded or otherwise!

·
Registered
21,657 Posts
Like another article stated, open the predator season up wide and long! Zero reason the few trappers we have Sita the anything that greatly affects the birds and deer that 509,000 enjoy and eat!

2 turkeys total all year, and none are hens!! Love it!

·
Under appreciated
87,496 Posts
I am good with 2 gobblers a year! And zero hens, bearded or otherwise!
Making bearded hens illegal will be a crap show. Only about 10% tops hens have a visible beard anyway.
I like laying off hens but that wont work.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Personally I like fall season just as much as spring. There are so few people that actually "turkey hunt" in the fall it would have minimal impact to eliminate it. We used to kill dang near as many birds in the fall as we did this spring and it had no impact on the numbers. That being said, as bad as it has gotten, I wouldn't be opposed to reducing the shotgun limit to one, eliminate the archery turkey tags completley(There is more killed by archery than shotgun and god know how many more get crippled that go off and die in the 4 months you can shoot one with a arrow), reduce the season length, make it gobbler only, etc. Gotta be careful making it gobbler only though because then every one that gets whacked in the fall won't be there in the spring to gobble. If that happens, the limit should most definitely be reduced or at a minimum only be able to kill one a week like how it used to be.

I wouldn't at least be opposed to making the spring season a one bird limit or at a minimum only one bird a week and reduce the season to 2 weeks for a few years.

But anyway you slice it, we are not going to have a really good hatch until the weather cooperates AND there is 75% reduction in predator numbers across the state. If you get one of the two the hatch will be a little better. But, when you get crap weather as it has been this spring and the out of control predator numbers like we have I can tell you already the hatch of 2021 will be a total bust.

·
6,360 Posts
Be careful what you wish for......giving up tags, you might regret that......just because there is a season doesn`t mean you have to kill fall hens.....I`d rather keep the opportunity and decline to hunt them, which I have for the last 3 years.

·
Under appreciated
87,496 Posts
Are you saying hunters are idiots?
Some, yes. Not all.
Bearded hens made up only 1% of the take this year or so. It’s not enough to worry about enforcing if you made it illegal.
Some people cannot tell the difference, serious about that. Not everyone is a seasoned turkey hunter.

·
Registered
892 Posts
20 I just feel like if MDC took away the turkey tags added in with deer archery tags they might feel inclined to drop those tag prices,doesn't matter none of it will happen. It's a big business and big business will never change...money first

·
4,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I am agreeing with most, I really like the 2 gobbler tags and use them fall or spring but eliminate archery turkey for a few years wouldnt hurt my feelings.

·
Biology nit wit exposer
80,689 Posts
Why eliminate the archer hunters?
Not eliminate them. They could still archery hunt turkeys on fall turkey tags if they wanted to. Most probably wouldn't and fewer birds would be killed .

Reactions: 20'

·
Registered
69,438 Posts
Not eliminate them. They could still archery hunt turkeys on fall turkey tags if they wanted to. Most probably wouldn't and fewer birds would be killed .
You mean like 6 or 8 birds fewer? Got a chart?😁

I'd say they would pick up a shotgun instead of a bow resulting in more birds taken....not fewer.

·
Biology nit wit exposer
80,689 Posts
You mean like 6 or 8 birds fewer? Got a chart?😁

I'd say they would pick up a shotgun instead of a bow resulting in more birds taken....not fewer.
No. I mean that archery hunters are killing more fall turkeys incidentally than fall firearms hunters are intentionally.

I say 140,000 archery hunters with 4 months to sit in the woods are doing more killing oppertunistically than they would if they had to buy a separate tag and only have 30 days to hunt.

·
Under appreciated
87,496 Posts
That’s where I am at. As easy as it could be to intentionally set out to kill a turkey in the fall with a shotgun, I cannot convince myself to sacrifice an opportunity to deer hunt. I always just go deer hunting with the knowledge that some stands offer me an opportunity at either. I’ve only ever taken advantage 2 times and both were long beards.
If they had a separate tag for fall turkeys with archery equipment, I’d probably pass.

·
Biology nit wit exposer
80,689 Posts
That’s where I am at. As easy as it could be to intentionally set out to kill a turkey in the fall with a shotgun, I cannot convince myself to sacrifice an opportunity to deer hunt. I always just go deer hunting with the knowledge that some stands offer me an opportunity at either. I’ve only ever taken advantage 2 times and both were long beards.
If they had a separate tag for fall turkeys with archery equipment, I’d probably pass.
They do have a separate tag. Fall turkey tag . :giggle: but its only good for October.

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
69,795 Posts
Probably my best chance to kill a turkey is in the fall with my xbow. I could have killed several hens by now, but lay off them. Just a matter of time til I kill a longbeard with that thing though.... :D

·
Under appreciated
87,496 Posts
They do have a separate tag. Fall turkey tag . :giggle: but its only good for October.
I mean if you had to buy them separately when you buy your archery deer tag.

·
Biology nit wit exposer
80,689 Posts
I mean if you had to buy them separately when you buy your archery deer tag.
Yes , I know. I would support the fall turkey tag being the only one available for fall turkey harvest. People not preparing to target turkeys with archery equipment are going to cause way more wounding loss than those who do. 02

Reactions: Hooks, 20' and rat
21 - 40 of 251 Posts