Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner

1 - 20 of 251 Posts

·
4,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who else is in favor of this, I know it's taking an opportunity for some people with good turkey numbers but I am one of the guys with good turkey numbers in spots but definitely see the need to lay off shooting them especially hens!

·
Registered
31,423 Posts
Sounds reasonable but have you seen how many were killed in the fall the last few years? It will make no difference in the grand scheme of things.

·
Biology nit wit exposer
80,689 Posts
I would be supportive of them dropping the two turkeys from the archery permit.

More turkeys being killed by archery methods than shotgun. I feel wounding loss by hunters is higher on the archery tags because most people dont prepare for killing turkeys and attempts are just incidental. 02

·
Registered
21,657 Posts
I would be supportive of them dropping the two turkeys from the archery permit.

More turkeys being killed by archery methods than shotgun. I feel wounding loss by hunters is higher on the archery tags because most people dont prepare for killing turkeys and attempts are just incidental. 02
Not to mention with far more xbows in the archery woods, more birds are dying because it is far easier with a xbow.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Make it 1 bird and male only. I'd also like to see the "automatic" archery turkey tags go away. If you want to shoot a turkey in the fall buy a gun tag and use any method you want for the month of October but males only. Shooting hens is stupid in a declining population, I don't care how small the impact it has...it still has an impact and it isn't positive

·
Under appreciated
87,496 Posts
No hens, one gobbler on archery.

Not sure even that is going to make much difference given the low participation in the fall.

·
Registered
892 Posts
You would think killing hens being taken off the board would help if even in the slightest percentage. I'm all for scrapping fall season and archery, but there's too much money involved in the grand scheme of things for the Mdc to see that happen

·
Under appreciated
87,496 Posts
You would think killing hens being taken off the board would help if even in the slightest percentage. I'm all for scrapping fall season and archery, but there's too much money involved in the grand scheme of things for the Mdc to see that happen
I'm not sure MDC makes a lot of money seings how you get the archery tags anyway when you buy them. And fall turkey hunting isnt as participatory as it once was, but I'm sure its in the MDC budget like you said.

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
69,795 Posts
I honestly don't care if we have, or do not have a fall turkey season.... That said, eliminating it would have minimal to no impact because so few birds are killed. I'd be ok with taking hens off the legal birds list though.....

Just in my area, I'd say my turkey population is 30-50% of what it was 10 years ago, just going by what I see and hear while hunting. This is not scientific in any way, just my observations. Habitat is identical in my area now, as it was then... Nothing around me has really changed. If anything, the biggest change it seems there are fewer people hunting them, which if anything you would think it would make for more birds, not less. Must be the nest predators. :cool:

·
Registered
21,657 Posts
Tri-lakes, what money involved? They would lose the tags fees for Fall turkey , but that would be it????

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
69,795 Posts
Tri-lakes, what money involved? They would lose the tags fees for Fall turkey , but that would be it????
Anyone that thinks MDC will cancel or not cancel a season based on tag income is out of touch..... If they cared so much about tag income, deer tags would be a lot more expensive for NR's, and residents alike......

Right or Wrong, I do believe MDC sets season dates, etc based on what they feel is the best use of the resource, not on how it hits them in the pocket book.

Reactions: justindh1

·
Hawk Hibernator
2,061 Posts
A new free predator control permit also will be available in August to private landowners. This will enable permit holders to shoot or trap a bobcat, coyote, gray fox, red fox, opossum, raccoon and striped skunk day or night.
Commission Chairman Ken Reeves of Harrison said the regulations are a common sense solution to reduce overpopulations of predators on private property.
"I think everyone knows that the reason we're doing this is we simply don't have people trapping and hunting raccoons and opossums like we did many years ago because the pelts aren't worth much," Reeves said. "We're trying to fill that gap by letting private landowners reduce these predators on their property to try to boost their quail and turkey numbers."(Arkansas)

·
Registered
21,657 Posts
A new free predator control permit also will be available in August to private landowners. This will enable permit holders to shoot or trap a bobcat, coyote, gray fox, red fox, opossum, raccoon and striped skunk day or night.
Commission Chairman Ken Reeves of Harrison said the regulations are a common sense solution to reduce overpopulations of predators on private property.
"I think everyone knows that the reason we're doing this is we simply don't have people trapping and hunting raccoons and opossums like we did many years ago because the pelts aren't worth much," Reeves said. "We're trying to fill that gap by letting private landowners reduce these predators on their property to try to boost their quail and turkey numbers."(Arkansas)
That is so weird that someone thinks reducing predators numbers would help anything! It is almost like this guy actually read the mdc reports and ole hat the issues are😱

·
Registered
437 Posts
I can see no hens in the fall. I sure do like shooting 4 Toms in the fall in Missouri. In my opinion it would be nice to see spring regulations change to no jakes or bearded hens.

·
Registered
115 Posts
For spring and Fall. Goto a Drawing... Needs to be divided into 4 hunting ZONES atleast.
Coordinate the Hunting zones around the Turkey Population densities for surrounding counties that are similar.
MDC Can hire me if they would like, I could probably map this stuff out for them..
You apply for that Zone. You either get drawn or you Dont.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
For spring and Fall. Goto a Drawing... Needs to be divided into 4 hunting ZONES atleast.
Coordinate the Hunting zones around the Turkey Population densities for surrounding counties that are similar.
MDC Can hire me if they would like, I could probably map this stuff out for them..
You apply for that Zone. You either get drawn or you Dont.
This or just draw 40,000 tags statewide and hunt wherever. Franklin county is usually number 1 or 2 and that is because of high hunter population. This is for spring season only.

·
Under appreciated
87,496 Posts
If a drawing, I would think they would be losing a valuable chance to gather data by not doing it by region.

Why is anyone advocating to limit tags if there is no population problem? :D😆

·
1,184 Posts
Eliminate the fall season, gun and archery, right now and shorten the spring season to 2 weeks like it was before the change some 20 years ago. In reality that wasn't long ago and a majority of active hunters remember the 2 week turkey season. If regulations can change with increasing numbers, why can't it change for decreasing numbers?

If we have the mentality that predators who hunt wild turkeys all through the year do not have a hand in the number of turkeys we have in the state, why have seasons for us humans? We are predatory animals and should be allowed to hunt them all year long with little affect on numbers. Just give us 2 tags to use anytime throughout the year. We get our two gobblers and we all know you just need one in the county to have a .8 ph. Gobbler numbers are unimportant to the stock anyways. The hens are the important factor here but we can still shoot a few of them too. With having a poult/hen ratio of .8, the numbers come out much better for the arguement than if it was 2.0 or more. It's all how you look at it. 2000 hens won't help out with only 1 poult surviving each year over her 3-5 year lifetime. 2000x1x4 is much sounding better than 2000x2x4. In a perfect reality thats 8000 more birds over the 4 years but it's just a drop in the bucket so who cares.

Reactions: Muleskinner
1 - 20 of 251 Posts