Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
18,972 Posts
He’s right, no one is 100% correct on the age of every buck. I like to compare it to people in their teens, 20’s, 30’s, 40’s etc. It’s easy to guess those age brackets for most people, but some people just don’t fit.

I doubt few mistake a 2 year old for a 5 year old. It’s the “is he 3 or 4? 4 or 5? 2 or 3?” Multiple pictures are needed to make a better judgement on age. One picture can belie the truth.

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
73,805 Posts
All deer aging by photos is, is educated guessing. Some people are better at it than others, but no one gets it right 100% of the time.

How many 2 or 3 yr old deer do you see get killed in tv hunts that they describe as Matoor..... :D

Reactions: elkdeerfarmer

·
5,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tackett’s buck last year looked like a baby. Like 2 years old. Except for the heavy 166” rack.
I figured he must be an exceptional 3 year old.
Gauge Measuring instrument Font Gas Temperature

Hunting Deer hunting Plant Fawn People in nature
Plant Deer Natural material Natural landscape Horn

One of the smallest bucks we have had on the scale in many years. His eye to nose measurement and neck circumference put him on a very small form.

Head Elk Deer Atmospheric phenomenon Fawn

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
73,805 Posts
I had him coming across the creek 200 yards away and threw the binos up to recognize him. I put the bow down and grabbed the video camera….he wasn’t 3. A neighbor shot him and told me he aged at 6.5.
He has a old looking face IMHO...... Not surprised.

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
73,805 Posts
Wish I had this one aged, I am guessing he was not a 2 year old.
Vertebrate Hunting Wood Mammal Grass

Reactions: letemgrow

·
5,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That seems to be the dressed weight of a 3 year old buck in my experience: 175.
At 168 lbs dressed he was "tiny". We have been breaking the 200 mark most of the time.
Tackett honestly thought he shot Bambi when he walked up on him. Took a little while of soaking in what his rack really was
before he decided he was a heck of a nice buck.

We would "settle" for a small buck with a "decent" rack like this one every year. LOL

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
73,805 Posts
Many moons ago...
I used to be young, seems like it was only last week.... :D For those on their way to old age.... It comes fast, and it hurts when you get there. :D

1 - 20 of 32 Posts