Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have hunted my [email protected]# off this year and have not seen :soapbox: am I doing something wrong or is this just the way it is? I have had my 12 yr old with me most of the time tryin to get him his first deer and we have seen 4 deer thats right 4 deer in a place where we usually get 4 or 5 opeming morning. I am pretty sure he thinks I have no idea how to hunt deer. Will somebody please tell me what the heck I am doing wrong.

·
Registered
6,357 Posts
dont get discouraged , well thats what I keep telling myself and it doesnt work for me,Chalk it down as a bad year and that means next year should be better than ever with all the deer that didnt get killed this year,I think its mother natures fault not yours :2thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
sometimes the deer just use different places to feed and breed. If your hunting public it could be over pressured. It sometimes boils down to being at the right place at the right time.:confused:

·
Preferred pronoun-Stud Muffin
10,590 Posts
sparkie... dunno what you're doing, but it has been a rough year for my group, too. Last year, 4 deer by this time, and getting very picky. This year, one, and not only not very picky now, but we get excited when we see one!

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Our group of 7 hunters harvested 13 deer last year. We got 2 this year. The flood ravaged the bottoms & there was 3 or 4 inches of mud covering everything. I'm guessing no food to draw them in.
Cat

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I hear ya man I have 475 acres to hunt it is not public . This year there was 5 of us hunting it and there was 1 deer killed during the gun season. My oldest boy killed a nice buck 2 days before the youth hunt, me and him seen deer all over the place the 2 days b4 the youth hunt then poof they were gone. I just dont get it I am by far an expert hunter hunter but [email protected]# I cant be that bad. There is deer sign everywhere ,rubs ,tracks and scrapes but there is just no deer to go along with it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
17,011 Posts
just a thought but do you hunt in a county that has ar's and whack every doe you see. if that's not it stop letting lungbuster hunt your spots.:hysterical:

·
Under appreciated
88,168 Posts
Originally posted by wingmaninmo
just a thought but do you hunt in a county that has ar's and whack every doe you see. if that's not it stop letting lungbuster hunt your spots.:hysterical:
Thats not it winger... all the deer are dead thanks to the unfounded MDC regulation changes.
Good luck everyone. I hope there are some deer next year for us all. :D

·
Registered
16,730 Posts
sparkie124,

No one else will say it but I will, and I am a rookie! You MUST be doing something wrong, why do I say this? Simply because you have 475 acres of private land! I for one would need more information! How many hunters, what type of harvesting, how many days a week, type and quantitiy of plots/deer management areas. so many variables with that much land. Perhaps others will say I am wrong, but heckfire, 475 acres!

Post some aerials of your place you hunt and believe sir, these folks on here know their sheet! However they are so freakin nice they don't tell you that you are doing things really bad until they know you.

I get it all the time, "Nicholas, you suck!", maybe I just get that from pipe though.

Nicholas

·
Registered
315 Posts
sparkie124,
I have hunted the same propety since the mid 70'S. One thing I have learned is some years you see alot of deer and other years you see very few. As stated. If they are using a section of woods one year, they might not the next year. Alot of it depends on the food source, where they were born, bedding areas or pressure. You have to realize that the deer don't realize boundries for living. In my area, they seamed to have gone nocternal very much by opening morning. I saw very few deer except the ones that lived in that section of woods. A few small straglers came through chasing doe during daylight hours but I never did see the big one I was after. This deer lives only a few hundred yards away from my stand on my neighbors property but he knows he is safe there. :scared: Next year I will try again! :sniper: :sniper:

·
Registered
12,593 Posts
It's been a weird year around here too. We've managed to kill about the same number of deer, but overall we have seen far less. There's still tons of sign. I've never seen so many rubs and scrapes on the place as we have this year, but seen less bucks than usual while hunting. We do have more bucks on the game cams than ever before, but it's pretty much all at night.

The deer just seem to be way more nocturnal since gun season started than normal.

·
Registered
19,796 Posts
Originally posted by SNA2STL
sparkie124,

No one else will say it but I will, and I am a rookie! You MUST be doing something wrong, why do I say this? Simply because you have 475 acres of private land! I for one would need more information! How many hunters, what type of harvesting, how many days a week, type and quantitiy of plots/deer management areas. so many variables with that much land. Perhaps others will say I am wrong, but heckfire, 475 acres!

Post some aerials of your place you hunt and believe sir, these folks on here know their sheet! However they are so freakin nice they don't tell you that you are doing things really bad until they know you.

I get it all the time, "Nicholas, you suck!", maybe I just get that from pipe though.

Nicholas
Post some aerials of your place you hunt go ahead, I DARE YA !!!:rof2::rof2::rof2::rof2::rof2::rof2::rof2::rof2::rof2::rof2:

·
Registered
315 Posts
Good point SNA2STL,
I hunt 8 acres of the 500 acres I grew up on. I know what, where and when the deer are doing on my 8 and more on the rest of the 492 than most of the owners. [WITH PERMISSION] I always get a deer even when the others don't see anything. Get to know your deer and you will know where they are. Give them a reason to be in your area or move. That's alot of land!

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Looks like Caney Mountain

·
Registered
12,593 Posts
Are you able to pull that up on cares.missouri.edu and add in a topo map to show the elevations? Looks like you got a lot of woods to work with so knowing the elevation of the terrain will help a guy out a lot more.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts