Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this unusually large track in NW MO while mushroom hunting...bigger than anything I have ever seen in the woods. That is a good sized deer track right next to it for something to compare it with. Could this be a mountain lion track?

·
Registered
8,319 Posts
Oh man... looks like it could be a mounain loin track to me!

BUT WAIT... there aren't any of those in MO, right? lol :whip:

·
Registered
193 Posts
Holy shnikes!:eek: If I was in the woods shrooming without my :sniper: I think that track could make me :fart: my britches.
Here are some pics from the net. You b da judge:D

·
Registered
193 Posts
something funky is happening with the site either that or I've developed a stutter!:neuspeuter:

·
Registered
8,772 Posts
Looks to be a big dog track to me. You'll notice on the pics Shortmag posted claws on a lion are not extended.

Jack

·
Registered
18,259 Posts
fido !

Fireman and shortmag we heard you the first time !!! :roll2:

·
Registered
70,470 Posts
Right about the nails thing. A cats claws are withdrawn while walking and extended while attacking. A dogs claws are always in the same position. The cat track has a rounded track and a dog has the toes towards the front of the pad.

·
Registered
14,508 Posts
Big 'ol St. Bernard...

·
Registered
754 Posts
Originally posted by hilldoh
I found this unusually large track in NW MO while mushroom hunting...bigger than anything I have ever seen in the woods. That is a good sized deer track right next to it for something to compare it with. Could this be a mountain lion track?
No. Cat's have retractable claws. Their tracks do not show claw marks. That's most likely a big dog.

·
Registered
11,987 Posts
Cujo!:peepwall:

·
6,644 Posts
I agree that it is probably a big dog track, however that is because of the shape of the pad. A few years back my cousin and I found some huge tracks similar to that size, except for the shape of the pads, which were more round. MDC looked at the pics I took with a measuring tape and said it was a dog, but the location had alot of loose dirt/sand and the claw marks were there. I believe it was a big kitty because you could tell it was in hot pursuit of a deer and when a cat is running like that and the ground is loose it will extend its claws to gain traction. Did I mention that MDC kept my pics???

·
Registered
14,508 Posts
I can't imagine them keeping the pics. wow - that's so unlike them;)

·
Registered
13,103 Posts
Ant-eater

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.