Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did not hunt in 2008. My wife gave birth to twins (boy and a girl), plus with our three year old, being gone for weekends at a time just didn't work for us. On top of that, my wife's birthday is on the 16th and we celebrated her birthday on opening weekend. Needless to say, this past Sat. was the first day I've hunted in two years.

I decided to hunt the farthest ridge from the cabin and just happens to be the thickest spot on the property. So, I lugged my gear and my climbing stand out prepared for an all day sit. This was going to be my only weekend to hunt and I have decided to put hunting on hold until my kids are a little bit older and our schedule is not so hectic. I am also a high school soccer coach and am gone enough as it is.

I finally got up in the tree around 6:30 AM. Drenched from sweat and out of breath. I felt like an idiot because I could see without a flashlight well before I was in the tree. Around 7:15, I decided to pull up my pack and attach it to the tree. When I sat down, I heard crunching in the leaves and turned to see antlers coming down the far hillside, into the ditch and coming up my hillside. He stops and out steps a doe in front of him. I could see that the rack was tall, but I hadn't seen him from the front yet. Our first year with antler restrictions and I was trying to count points. The doe continued her walk directly at me with the buck in tow. At this point, I could see brow tines and that he was wider than his ears. The doe stopped and started sniffing the air while the buck was standing 20 yds behind behind some brush. He got fed up and came at her. She drew him into 40 yards and turned broadside and headed up the hill. He followed the same path. Now I am shaking anticipating taking a shot. He stopped behind the only tree that could have gotten in my way. After a few seconds, he took about five more steps and I pulled the trigger. He hunched up, ran 40 yds and fell. The doe went back the way she came and was followed by a 4-pointer I didn't know was there.

My largest deer to date. I was in the stand for an hour. Luck...Just happened to be in the right place at the right time. Since I am taking a break from hunting for a while, I couldn't have scripted this any better. I will be following everyone's stories here on MWT as I have been for the past few years.

Weighed 219 before field dressing, 180 after. Rough scored myself and put the numbers into the B&C webpage: 129 5/8 gross.

[file]81218[/file] [file]81220[/file]

·
Registered
38,393 Posts
Nice first post!!! Welcome to MWT!!!!:cheers::wave:

·
Registered
8,513 Posts
fine buck
congrats
:cheers:

·
Registered
133 Posts
Good story! You may consider it "luck" becuase you haven't been able to put in the time over the last 2 years, but I think you deserve every bit of that deer! Congratulations!

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
70,975 Posts
Congrats, on the twins, and the deer!:2thumbsup:

·
Registered
32,436 Posts
:eek::

·
Banned
81,616 Posts
He is definately a keeper.:2thumbsup:

:cheers::cheers:

·
Banned
1,048 Posts
Nice buck:eek::

·
Lunch break commander
8,419 Posts
that is a good one. Welcome, you will love it here.

·
Grrrrrrr
29,951 Posts
Good story....bet ya didn't expec to have to make that long walk back to the cabin quite so early huh???

·
Registered
6,061 Posts
nice buck:cheers:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts