Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
CAF4\'s 2006 Journal

September 6th

On September 4th, took out the Remington ADL and checked all the scope mounting screws. Everything seems fine. Will be heading to the rifle range sometime in September to see if I can still hit anything and beat the crowds.

Talked to my twin today and she agreed to tan a deer hide for me this year. She seems to have some doubt on if I will actually get a deer though. ;)

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
September 8th

Had a good phone chat with one of the landowners that lets me hunt on his property. He has concerns again about it being real dry and is also wondering if the blue tongue/EHD will hit the area again this fall or if it did enough thinning of the herd last year.

He is pretty excited that the turkey and quail populations seem to have benefited from a warm dry spring.

Always fun to talk with this gentleman. Of course we had to discuss football and baseball, too. ;)

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
i don't think any fear of blue tongne now i think its getting to cool of the evenings now and the few rains we have had lately here and there even if not alot in some places should keep the water some what fresh.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
September 30th....To The Range....

Went out to the shooting range at Busch on Saturday, September 30th.

I am pretty sure that the gun is ready to go. :eek:

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
October 27-29....stand setup and scouting...

Just returned from southwest Missouri where I spent the weekend scouting for deer and deer sign and setting up my stands.

This is the first scouting trip that I can remember that I didn't see a single deer on any of the property that I can hunt on. For that matter, never saw a deer on any neighboring property either. Probably not a good sign and the only deer I saw the whole trip were while scouting a new piece of property some cousins gained access to we saw 4 deer in one group....mama, the twins and a spike.

Sign wise...only a handful of small rubs and a few less than worn down trails. Lots of acorns all over the woods.

Additionally, this is the first trip I can remember where I didn't see a few road kill deer on the way down and back. Maybe the "population thinning" program by the MDC is working.

This could be a "interesting" year....

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
November 11th, Opening Day

Was in my stand by 5:45 am....same stand that I had been in for opening morning the last 2 years with good results...the weather was cold and clear with a light breeze...shooting time was 6:21 and nothing happened until 6:58 when a coyote came out in the cow pasture...he was looking right at me and I must have missed with the first shot....he ran in a big circle and stood broadside at 120 yds and I dropped him with the 2nd shot...at a little after 8:00 a buck came out in the field at around 300-400 yards...there was a truck slowing down to do "something" at about the same time I saw the buck...he got nervous as the truck was turning around and headed on east at a good clip...I never had a chance to really size him up...got down around 8:30 to drag the coyote out of the field and a doe ran away from me...she was smart...kept a tree row between me and her.... ;)

Went to a different stand in the afternoon...saw a doe for a split second as I was walking in....saw nothing all the rest of the afternoon and I was overlooking the best pond in a dry area...saw another doe for a second or two right as I was climbing down for the night after shooting hours were over.

Days Summary: 8.5 hours on stand....saw 4 deer....no shots taken....eliminated 1 coyote :cheers:

[Edited on 12-26-2006 by caf4]

[file]11462[/file]

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
November 12th, Day 2

Went to opening morning stand again and saw nothing between 5:45 and 8:00.

Did some mini-drives with a cousin in the late morning and saw the back end of a doe that my cousin missed when he couldn't get his safety off on some gun that the bolt handle would not stay down on.

Went back to the same stand at 2:00 and stayed until the end of the day...nothing moving

Called one of the land owners that I hunt on to see how they were doing...found out they had a little luck and one of the fellows they gave permission to hunt a very good place had brought in 4-5 "friends" that he did not ask about and were hence "tossed off the place"....I was given permission to hunt there tomorrow... :eek:

Summary: 5.5 hours on stand, a couple of deer drives....saw 1 deer....no shots....new enthusiasm for tomorrow :cheers:

[Edited on 11-16-2006 by caf4]

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
November 13th, Day 3

Was in the "palace stand" by 5:40 am...sat until 8:30 am and saw nothing...first time ever in this stand that I did not see a deer of some type. :frown:

Did mini-drives with my cousin in the late morning and we didn't see a thing.

Went to Lockwood for lunch....waitress served me pecan pie with SOUR cream instead of WHIPPED cream....pretty gross... :D

Was back in the palace by 1:15....saw a doe come out in a shooting lane cut through the prairie grass at around 3:55...I let her mill around (hoping for a buck to be with her) until she looked like she was going to go back into the brush....dropped her with 1 shot from 240 yards.... :banana:

...at 4:00 a couple of deer came out the opposite direction of the first...I sized them both up and decided it was mamma and the baby....dropped mamma with one shot from 150 yards...let the "baby" walk and could have shot her easily as she milled around for several more minutes and came within 80 yards or so....

...stayed on stand until shooting time was over, saw one other small deer that I could have shot, and then went to find the second deer as I could see the first one...."mamma" turned out to be a buck with broken off main beams...after measuring and discussion amongst several folks, including the folks at the packing plant, we all agreed that this was an "antlerless deer" under the 3" spike rule....I would love to hear whether broken off main beams count as spikes...

Summary: 7 hours on stand...saw 4 deer and took 2 very good sized deer, a buck and a doe. They were both about the same size and the doe may have been slightly bigger. I think she was the 2nd largest doe I have ever taken. :cheers:

[Edited on 11-16-2006 by caf4]

[file]11463[/file]

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
November 14th, Day 4

Slept in and skipped the morning hunt...

...went back to the palace stand, hoping for that big buck or one more doe, and hunted from 2:00 until quitting time...never saw a thing....very odd for this stand location.

Summary: 3.5 hours on stand...no deer seen

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Season Summary So Far

Have spent 24.5 hours on stand and probably 3 hours doing drives...

...seen 9 deer with only 3 of them offering any reasonable type of shot (i.e.: not too far, too fast, too brushy or some combination of the above)

...have 2 deer being processed for the freezer. :cheers:

...may go out a little this coming weekend as CFP says her parents would like a doe or two killed and the primary hunter on that property has not hunted for more than 2-3 hours total so far...there just MAY be a big buck running around that place... ;)

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
November 19th at CFP\'s

Took my chair and my .270 up to CFP's place north of Troy to see if I could get a doe and a monster buck.

Found a spot along one of their forest cutout roads that was right next to a corner of the neighbors winter wheat field. Thought I might catch them on their way from the creeks to the field to eat. At 4:06 a small buck popped into the lane and since I had someone wanting a deer, I :sniper:

Went to the spot, 80 yards away, and found blood. Trailed it for awhile and it quit...just kind of guessed where he might have went and found blood again 30-40 yards later. Went up over a hill and down the next before finding him. Small fork that I got my exercise dragging up the hill, through the thick stuff for a couple hundred yards.

:cheers:

[file]10554[/file]

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
November 24th, Retrieving Venison

Spent the day after Thanksgiving making a St. Louis to Lockwood round trip (550 miles) to pick up my venison from the first 2 deer of the season.

It was a beautiful day for a drive....sure wish I would have had time to hang around the country for a day or two but I needed to get back to STL.

Tested out the ground on Saturday and it was excellent. Even the wife commented that it was better than last year's deer. I have no idea why but I guess age, diet, etc. play into flavor.

[Edited on 12-1-2006 by caf4]

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
November 30th, Well Crap...

Got a note from one of the landowners I hunt on today that said he found an 8 point buck dead in the ditch next to where I hunt on November 15th. :frown:

Based on the description he gave me of it's rack width and location of demise, it was probably the one I saw a little after 8 on opening morning following the exact same route.

Weird part is that I drove right by where he said it was on that day while wrapping things up to head back to St. Louis and never saw him.

It's bad enough that area is full of poachers, now they are getting hit on a road that probably only averages one car every 5-10 minutes or so.

[Edited on 12-1-2006 by caf4]

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
December 7th

Just wanted to document that the ground venison we received this year is back in "good graces" with the wife and daughters. :eek:

I have made a "dry stew" and sloppy joes so far and both were hits. Noone could tell I used venison in the sloppy joes and they therefor ate it up. They usually complain that they can smell it cooking and it "tastes like deer".

Made swiss steak (tomato based sauce) with some roundsteak too. That was a hit. They have always liked the steak.

Now I'm hungry....

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
December 16th

With one doe tag left and a supposed abundance of deer up at CFP's place, I decided to still hunt through the woods during the afternoon figuring the woods would be damp and quiet....WRONG....it was pretty dry and crunchy.

Saw lots of rubs and deer poop and had a good walk. Ended up jumping one little buck within 20 yards of where I shot the buck here during regular season. He circled me and stopped within 40 yards. It was a fun encounter. I sat down a little farther up the hill and waited for until sundown but never saw a thing. I did hear a couple of deer "talking" off and on. I've only heard that a couple of times and it was a good learning experience.

If I can just suck up enough to CFP.....I may find a fun new place to hunt more often. :eek:

·
Banned
81,617 Posts
Thats not called sucking up,,,,,,,,,,,it is "public relations":rotfl:

:cheers::cheers:

·
Retired
9,535 Posts
Originally posted by cowboy
These journals are an idea that was'nt here last time I got to a computer. This is some neet stuff.
Cowboy ----You are more then welcome to start you own for next year or for the entire 2007 season--thats what this area ius for--documenting what you see--hear--and take.

Feel free to create your own-----Its a great place for our members to make documentation of their hunts---:cheers:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.