Featured Buying a blind from Redtop cedar sales.

Discussion in 'Whitetails General' started by buffalo12888, Feb 5, 2018.

1. buffalo12888

buffalo12888 Active Member

Aug 25, 2008
    franklin county
    IMG_2315.PNG Anyone ever heard of them or bought one from them. They are just south of Buffalo. I'm going to buy a couple I believe. Is 600 bucks for a 4X8 a good deal?

2. River rat86

River rat86 Active Member

Oct 26, 2012
    St.charles mo.
    95AD55AB-A296-4AE7-8C0C-F8FE34478127.jpeg D3488584-8BC3-41FE-AB1D-8D5F3B82A3AC.jpeg That sounds cheap enough! I got 500$ just in materials on these blinds I made this winter

3. buffalo12888

Aug 25, 2008
    franklin county
    That's a dang nice blind. Should last you a lot of years. I'm hoping the cedar will help these hold up

4. antlercrazed

antlercrazed Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2010
    North Missouri
    I have over $1k in my 6x6 so i'de say that's more than fair.Do they have a website I'm curious as to what all they have to offer

5. ILoveDeer

ILoveDeer Member

Dec 10, 2017
    Windows seem pretty high. Looks like you got to stand to shoot out of them. And the windows seem small in size and a whole lot of blind spots.
    Mark

STTH and 90acres like this.
  6. ILoveDeer

ILoveDeer Member

Dec 10, 2017
  7. WBF

WBF Wolf Brook Farms

Oct 25, 2013
    Any idea the type of Cedar the blind is made of? Not all Cedar is created equal or holds up to weather. I'd be concerned about critters chewing away on it .. possible to coat it with some type of finish to help hold up against weather and other critters?

Cedar that I've harvested and used off my farm in the form of posts or boards I had milled faired well as long as they are protected I.E. under a porch type covering/don't come into contact with soil or the ground.

The position of the windows seem awfully high to attempt to view/shoot out of. Have you put a chair inside the blind and then had a look outside the blind from a setting position? And then if bowhunting have you ran through a draw/shoot scenerio? I think your going to find that your visibility and shot opportunities are going to be limited from 40 yards or so. 40 yards in toward the blind due to the hight of your windows is going to cause some blind spots orvareas you can't see while setting and you might not be able to pull off a shot regardless of bow/gun. Not trying to be Mr. Downer but you mentioned you might purchase more of the same type of model . Hate to see you purchase 2 or 3 and be 1200/1600$$$ in to a blind that may look practical on the surface but have some unattended/overlooked consequence...

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
    DCSarchette likes this.
  8. buffalo12888

Aug 25, 2008
    franklin county
    Good thought on the windows. This is a photo of one of the ones they already made. I'm over looking a field so I asked them to make my opening all the way across the front. I can also have them put the opening a little closer to the floor. The floor is made with treated 2X6s to help with rotting. I also think I'm going to put it off the ground a few feet.

9. buffalo12888

Aug 25, 2008
    franklin county
    I found them on FB. Redtop Cedar Sales is the FB page

10. buffalo12888

Aug 25, 2008
    franklin county
    I'm having them make the opening to shoot out of all the way across the front as I'm looking over a field. The glass is 16X24 but I'll be able to open it and have a 2X8 opening across the front. The photo was one they made for another customer

11. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    Those hinges look really small.....a good wind will rip those babies off real quick. Twice that size should hold up or even bigger like the ones in River rat86's photo.

DCSarchette likes this.
  12. 421sd

421sd Part-time malcontent

Dec 23, 2012
    Ozarks Plateau
    I'm no blind expert but I have some general thoughts on that:

I would have the roof material oriented 90 degrees from what they have on that sample and use a true ridge cap. The way they have it is a recipe for leaks in time. More overhang would be good as well.

Agreed on the undersized hinges.

Agreed on the window issues.

4x8 is a really tiny footprint, 6x8 or bigger would be worth the investment in materials IMO. I've sat in a really small blind with firearms and you're banging around in there with a lack of elbow room. Not enough room for two people IMO. Shooting a bow would be almost impossible in that footprint I would think.

If they will custom build to fix the issues, should be a very nice blind.

DCSarchette likes this.
  13. Meller

Meller Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Looks like a sweet smokehouse

tcwild and Wings Fan 19 like this.