Bushwhacker?

Discussion in 'Special Hunts' started by Bloodtrail 1, Aug 29, 2016.

1. Bloodtrail 1

Bloodtrail 1 Grand PooBah

Dec 11, 2007
    Missouri
    My group had max points from putting in at Swan Lake all those years. Had to do something different this year, so we put in for Bushwacker. We don't have any clue about the place and are from the east side of the state. So, can anyone give me any help at all? Oh, yes we did get drawn.

2. Bigby

Bigby Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2011
    Windsor M.O
    I was drawn also for the 3rd to the 9th hunt. Have no idea what the land is like.

3. flatlander_

flatlander_ Really? Show me. .

What ya want to know? I've spent a lot of time on Bushwacker over the years. Mostly turkey hunting but doing other things as well.

4. cy912

cy912 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2011
    Here's some help....If you don't feel like driving out there to put some boots on the ground to scout it out, you shouldn't have put in for it.

5. Dafish

Dafish Senior Member

Nov 24, 2010
    St. Peters
    This area contains prairie, forest, old fields, cropland, grassland and savanna. Facilities/features: boat ramp, primitive camping, three fishing jetties, fishing dock, Bushwhacker, and Willow lakes (196 acres total), and a permanent stream (Drywood Creek).

https://extra.mdc.mo.gov/documents/area_brochures/7823map.pdf

During the Civil War, Kansas Jayhawkers ambushed local residents believed to be Confederate sympathizers. In retaliation, those men, known as bushwhackers, banded together and started their own guerilla war against the Union. The guerilla warfare soon spilled over into Missouri, and some fierce fighting took place along Little Dry Wood Creek.

Bushwhacker is an appropriate name for the conservation area that now covers 4,790 acres along the Vernon and Barton county lines. Little Dry Wood Creek runs through the eastern side of the area.

Historically, nearly the whole area was prairie, with timber only along Little Dry Wood Creek and its drainages. Before it became public land, much of the original prairie had been plowed and put into crops, or disced and seeded to fescue. The more than 1,400 acres of prairie remaining today are being restored through controlled grazing, herbicide treatment, and burning. About 120 acres of native hay meadows also remain and harbor the same plant communities that buffalo once grazed. Other wildlife, such as quail, rabbits, and deer, are common. Each fall and spring, hundreds of waterfowl use the area's lakes and ponds.

One of the drainages was dammed in 1982 to make 157-acre Bushwhacker Lake. This lake, along with a smaller lake and numerous ponds on the area, has been renovated and stocked with bass, bluegill, and channel catfish.

During your visit to Bushwhacker Lake Conservation Area, you may observe various wildlife management, research, and soil conservation activities. Sharecrop agreements with local farmers help provide food for wildlife. Trees and shrubs are planted along the boundaries, and clumps of shrubs will be planted in the open fields to provide cover for quail and other wildlife. Native warm-season grasses and prairie forbs, wheat and lespedeza are being planted in strips. Any physical disturbance is only temporary.

6. MrHunter785

MrHunter785 Active Member

Jun 11, 2015
    That's pretty rude to say. He's asking for some general thoughts and ideas on the place, not specific scouting intel. Seeing as how the draw just happened I don't see how he could have possibly had time to scout it already. I'm sure he's excited to have drawn and wanted to see what others on here had to say about it.

7. grunter73

grunter73 Active Member

Dec 14, 2005
    Lincoln County
    My son got drawn for the muzzleloader hunt, good luck to you guys!

8. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

I think your assessment is pretty accurate.:D

9. cy912

cy912 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2011
    I shoot straight from the hip bud. I don't carry sugar on me.

10. Bloodtrail 1

Bloodtrail 1 Grand PooBah

Dec 11, 2007
    Missouri
    And I shoot straight from the hip too. I just responded to your question on mock scrapes with a link for some useful info.
    You respond to mine like a punk.
    That is what this place is for, ask questions about MO deer hunting. Never been there, I'm sure I will figure it out though with or without any responses. Looking for someone who used to hunt it, lives close, whatever.
    Thanks for the smart a$$ response though. :confused:

11. grunter73

grunter73 Active Member

Dec 14, 2005
    Lincoln County
    I looked at all that boy posted, he's pretty much a D-bag.

12. nathanwhitetailgeek

nathanwhitetailgeek Junior Member

Cy912 is a pretty good fella helped me on alot of questions i have had and has shared info with me. Ur not going to get help talking like that to people. About 20% of this site is good straight talking/helping deer hunters the other 80% has nothing to do with hunting deer or it just starts online arguments

Last edited: Sep 10, 2016