Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
13,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I drew a archery tag for the first portion
Today I went to "scout" so when it is time to "legaly" put up stands i know where I might go.
I went to a spot that I have hunted a few years ago. Walking along the corn and seeing a number of tracks I came to a spot in which i had previously had a stand and noticed the corn was all broken over about waist high. Not thinking much about it I moved a tree that was covering a deer trail. I started to look around to hang a camera and noticed a stand up in a tree. Then I re-looked and someone had took down the corn and the tree that I moved had been cut done.
I walked over to the stand an no name or conservation I.D. per the regs, it was heavily padlocked onto the tree.
I walked down to the road and on way back to the truck a park truck came by. I waved it down to ask if I was reading the regs correctly. (no stnds prior to 7 days, stands to be marked with name an conservation number, no cutting trees)The guy in the truck was the head guy at Busch, he knew of that stand and 2 others that were put up late last week and they are keeping an eye on them, along with several piles of corn.

So far no chiggers or ticks but lots of stickers. He said they may cut the corn at any time. I did not see any beans(but I did not go all over) lots of weed fields and disked/dove fields.

·
Land buying addiction
13,622 Posts
People are not smart. Who would put a pile of corn on a CA!! On the corn sounds like the hunter broke it over but I always heard of corns broke over it’s usually coins and not deer. Deer don’t knock it over they just eat it since they can reach the ears just fine.

·
Registered
19,247 Posts
I drew a archery tag for the first portion
Today I went to "scout" so when it is time to "legaly" put up stands i know where I might go.
I went to a spot that I have hunted a few years ago. Walking along the corn and seeing a number of tracks I came to a spot in which i had previously had a stand and noticed the corn was all broken over about waist high. Not thinking much about it I moved a tree that was covering a deer trail. I started to look around to hang a camera and noticed a stand up in a tree. Then I re-looked and someone had took down the corn and the tree that I moved had been cut done.
I walked over to the stand an no name or conservation I.D. per the regs, it was heavily padlocked onto the tree.
I walked down to the road and on way back to the truck a park truck came by. I waved it down to ask if I was reading the regs correctly. (no stnds prior to 7 days, stands to be marked with name an conservation number, no cutting trees)The guy in the truck was the head guy at Busch, he knew of that stand and 2 others that were put up late last week and they are keeping an eye on them, along with several piles of corn.

So far no chiggers or ticks but lots of stickers. He said they may cut the corn at any time. I did not see any beans(but I did not go all over) lots of weed fields and disked/dove fields.
Dafish...! Thanks for the heads up Bro.... Any chance you could grab them stands.......

·
Registered
4,569 Posts
Are they allowing cameras on CA's now?

I know where people put out salt licks at Busch.

I can guarantee what little corn they put out there is going to get hunted hard, everyone will be around it.

·
13,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are they allowing cameras on CA's now?

I know where people put out salt licks at Busch.

I can guarantee what little corn they put out there is going to get hunted hard, everyone will be around it.
They have allowed cameras for at least the last years, as that is the last time I drew.

corn was all broke over perfectly at the same height

I would not take someone else's stand, but I did look at it to see if it had a name and number on it like the regs say they are supposed to. each ladder section was locked together and a chain with padlock wrapped around the stand and tree.
I've gave better stands away

I asked the park guy in what area the corn was , as I did not want to get caught unknowingly hunting over/near it. He gave me a general area in which the 2 piles are

·
13,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was doing a little looking/driving around during the mid-day, plus shot the bow at the range.
Lots of milo and fields of sudan grass(whatever, about head high real thin stalks thinner then cane) east and north of the headquarters, which usualy gets the most hunting pressure.
Corn to the west of headquarters with numerous dove fields thrown in along with a couple more fields of sudan,
2 fields of sudan were cut since I was out there Monday and the park guy told me at that time the corn should be cut any time
lots of fields that use to have crops have been let go for the last 10 years or more

I know with milo, the deer like it until it gets to a certain stage then they do not eat it until late season

found some acorns the deer have been munching on

·
1,582 Posts
Used to be around that place years back all the time. Northwest corner was always great. They had some chained field entrances off of the roads bordering the property where you could usually leave the truck parked and get in easier than a long hike from inside.

I live not far and see deer on the west and north edges all the time in the fields off DD

·
13,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Used to be around that place years back all the time. Northwest corner was always great. They had some chained field entrances off of the roads bordering the property where you could usually leave the truck parked and get in easier than a long hike from inside.

I live not far and see deer on the west and north edges all the time in the fields off DD
most of that is developed into housing now, on private side of the fence in the NW corner,

a friend would park in the parking lot of a movie theater up there and go in from there

they have been cutting the corn this last week, milo is still up though

·
1,582 Posts
most of that is developed into housing now, on private side of the fence in the NW corner,

a friend would park in the parking lot of a movie theater up there and go in from there

they have been cutting the corn this last week, milo is still up though
I guess my directions aren't accurate. They flattened all the stuff Desco (Schnucks) owned and turned it into yet more housing. This is down DD, maybe more due west-ish. You can actually still park off the road and walk in towards the west side of lake 33

·
Registered
39 Posts
Boys got drawn for the youth hunt this year. Looking forward to getting back up there as it's been a few years since I've been drawn to hunt at Busch.

·
13,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Lots and lots of stickers, the kind that stick to your clothes. They have the corn cut, and they have been mowing some of the weed patches

good Luck

1 - 13 of 13 Posts