Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cut down 20 plus large cedars on a north facing slope.grove. They were all together in a large grove. Now what to do? Burn them to stimulate new growth or just let nature slowly deteriate them while stuff grows up slowly? Deer and turkey habitate improvement is my mission. Small game third on the list. Looking for opinions
Thanks

·
Registered
69,561 Posts
I've never done this but if I did I'd pile them up into 4 or 5 brush piles for the bunnies to hide in. We need more rabbits for the hawks, owls and coyotes to eat instead of eating our quail and turkey. They would have a better chance to populate our properties.

·
1,980 Posts
I've never done this but if I did I'd pile them up into 4 or 5 brush piles for the bunnies to hide in. We need more rabbits for the hawks, owls and coyotes to eat instead of eating our quail and turkey. They would have a better chance to populate our properties.
We need fewer hawks, owls and coyotes looking to eat!

·
Biology nit wit exposer
81,238 Posts
How dense are they ? Can deer navigate thru them ?

Reactions: ericreihm

·
1,075 Posts

·
Biology nit wit exposer
81,238 Posts
If they are that thick I would burn them. That's what I'm going to do in January. I have about 6 or more acres like that

·
Registered
98 Posts
Cedar oil is a good herbicide so if you can burn the green off them that would be better , if left spread out the trunk and most limbs will be left which is fine .Fire will help get the process of regeneration going . burning while standing is a spectacular scene .

·
Registered
335 Posts
Cedar oil is a good herbicide so if you can burn the green off them that would be better , if left spread out the trunk and most limbs will be left which is fine .Fire will help get the process of regeneration going . burning while standing is a spectacular scene .
I burned a 20 acre field full of cedars around 6-7ft tall and they were thick. Looked like hell on earth, scared the crap out of me how hot it got.

·
Registered
7,263 Posts
Personally I would cut the large branches off and either pile them up for the Rabbits to hide in or burn the branches....then see if anyone would give You something for the Logs?

I have a Friend that makes Beds out of Cedar Logs and some Saw Mills or Private Individuals cut them into boards to line closets with or to make Cedar chest etc...!

If We cut any good size Cedars down here on the Farm we save the logs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts