Bullets

Discussion in 'Muzzleloaders' started by Nicholas, Mar 7, 2006.

1. Nicholas

Nicholas New Member

Oct 5, 2005
    Saint Charles, MO
    What do you folks think of Powerbelt Bullets? CVA recommends them and they appear pretty good.
    :wave:

2. JackJr

JackJr New Member

Nov 30, 2002
    Land Of BLAHS
    Nicholas, some folks swear by them and others say they don't perform well. I don't shoot them so I can't verify either side. But yes they do look good. And of course CVA recommends them, they make them.:roll2:

Jack

3. Chairman

Chairman Senior Member

Dec 2, 2002
    Henry County
    I've shot 'em before. I bought some back when I first bought my T/C Encore 209x50 Mag.

They were actually the only bullet/sabot that would shoot worth a darn, in my Encore.

Mighty pricey, though... :eek:

4. Hoytshooter

Hoytshooter Active Member

Mar 7, 2005
    Small Buck, MO
    they are a little pricey, but I saw that while walmart was having their closeout sales after the season you could pick up a pack for $8.

I have shot them and they shot well for me. It seems to me that the majority of complaints come from one paticular style or another. I personally shot the polymer tipped ones and had great results. I think that most of the negative feedback I have heard has been about the hollow points.

5. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    Yep i shoot em in my optima.. luv em.. kilt my first ml doe with em at 90 sumtin yards... Im also shooting the polymer tipped ones.. no info for ya on the hollo points..

6. Chairman

Chairman Senior Member

Dec 2, 2002
    Henry County
    Yep ~ I shot the Aero-Tips, exclusively.

When I shot 'em, I used a specially-designed jag, so I didn't screw up the polymer, when shoving it down the barrel...

7. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    Yeah chairman definately a good idea to get, i saw em and meant to pick one up, then was going out to go shootin and was :banghead: i forgot to get it, wally world didnt have em, so i jus took a drill bit and hollowed out the jack on the ram rod and worked pretty good..

8. shortmag

shortmag New Member

Feb 22, 2006
    I love'em. They shoot great out of my encore. I have a second part to this question. Can power belts be used in Colorado? They say the only stipulation is that the bullet mic .50 or bigger. My original thought is that is why they were produced and that's why there's an elk on the carton! Just wondering.

9. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    no clue for sure, but i dunno why they wouldnt?

10. Nicholas

Nicholas New Member

Oct 5, 2005
    Saint Charles, MO
    Holy *#@^, I had no clue once agiain that there was so many new things to learn with muzzleloaders! Oh well, time to hit the internet and start researching more. Thanks agian for all of this info.
    :wave:

11. Nicholas

Nicholas New Member

Oct 5, 2005
    Saint Charles, MO
    Center Punch thanks for the info., I decided on the Optima, and I will check out the hornady sst as well.

12. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

sabots used to be illegal in colo for muzzleloaders season. The power belts are recognized as a bullet and not a saboted bullet out there. I have a friend who switched to power belts for that reason, since he hunts with a muzzleloader in colo.

:cheers::cheers:

13. clansey

clansey New Member

Feb 6, 2005
    Bozeman, MT
  14. Crappie

Crappie Slab Master

I like them powerbelts...

15. JackJr

JackJr New Member

Nov 30, 2002
    Land Of BLAHS
    Nicholas you might also consider the Shockwaves by Thompson. They are in reality SSTs but have a Thompson Sabot. The Thompson Sabot seems to seat easier to me than the Hornady. The 300 gr SST is quite a bullet too.

Jack

16. JackJr

JackJr New Member

Nov 30, 2002
    Land Of BLAHS
    Mike, I have seen a couple shot with the Shockwaves and they performed very well. I bought the SSTs and they were a bear to load. The Shockwaves were much easier.

Jack

17. Nicholas

Nicholas New Member

Oct 5, 2005
    Saint Charles, MO
    More great information, thanks guys! And girls?

18. Underclocked

Underclocked New Member

Jan 27, 2003
    Greenfield, MO. USA
  19. JackJr

JackJr New Member

Nov 30, 2002
    Land Of BLAHS
    My Encore is from the first year of production and probably later on Thompson loosened up the bore a little for better seating of saboted bullets.

Jack

20. Nicholas

Nicholas New Member

Oct 5, 2005
    Saint Charles, MO
    Under, thanks for the links, those look good as well.