Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you folks think of Powerbelt Bullets? CVA recommends them and they appear pretty good.
:wave:

·
Registered
8,764 Posts
Nicholas, some folks swear by them and others say they don't perform well. I don't shoot them so I can't verify either side. But yes they do look good. And of course CVA recommends them, they make them.:roll2:

Jack

·
Registered
18,763 Posts
they are a little pricey, but I saw that while walmart was having their closeout sales after the season you could pick up a pack for $8.

I have shot them and they shot well for me. It seems to me that the majority of complaints come from one paticular style or another. I personally shot the polymer tipped ones and had great results. I think that most of the negative feedback I have heard has been about the hollow points.

·
Registered
42,104 Posts
Originally posted by Chairman

When I shot 'em, I used a specially-designed jag, so I didn't screw up the polymer, when shoving it down the barrel...
Yeah chairman definately a good idea to get, i saw em and meant to pick one up, then was going out to go shootin and was :banghead: i forgot to get it, wally world didnt have em, so i jus took a drill bit and hollowed out the jack on the ram rod and worked pretty good..

·
Registered
193 Posts
I love'em. They shoot great out of my encore. I have a second part to this question. Can power belts be used in Colorado? They say the only stipulation is that the bullet mic .50 or bigger. My original thought is that is why they were produced and that's why there's an elk on the carton! Just wondering.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Holy *#@^, I had no clue once agiain that there was so many new things to learn with muzzleloaders! Oh well, time to hit the internet and start researching more. Thanks agian for all of this info.
:wave:

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Center Punch thanks for the info., I decided on the Optima, and I will check out the hornady sst as well.

·
Banned
81,584 Posts
Originally posted by Center Punch
shortmag, are you saying that any sabot for a .50 isn't legal in CO??

Nicholas - don't discount the Hornady SSTs.
Did you decide on a gun yet?
sabots used to be illegal in colo for muzzleloaders season. The power belts are recognized as a bullet and not a saboted bullet out there. I have a friend who switched to power belts for that reason, since he hunts with a muzzleloader in colo.

:cheers::cheers:

·
Registered
8,764 Posts
Nicholas you might also consider the Shockwaves by Thompson. They are in reality SSTs but have a Thompson Sabot. The Thompson Sabot seems to seat easier to me than the Hornady. The 300 gr SST is quite a bullet too.

Jack

·
Registered
8,764 Posts
Mike, I have seen a couple shot with the Shockwaves and they performed very well. I bought the SSTs and they were a bear to load. The Shockwaves were much easier.

Jack

·
Registered
2,217 Posts

·
Registered
8,764 Posts
My Encore is from the first year of production and probably later on Thompson loosened up the bore a little for better seating of saboted bullets.

Jack

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.