Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
High-tech Hillbilly
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The wooden stand I had built to hold my bag and moose target was getting rickety so I decided to design one out of PVC pipe that I think will hold up better. I am a nerd at heart with access to some expensive, high-end 3D modeling software so I really enjoyed designing the new stand. I even modeled the carabiners clipping the bag to the eye bolts. I built the real thing over the weekend and, in this case, life really does imitate art!

Darren

·
Under appreciated
87,496 Posts
Pretty neat, have to think about that.

I think we are going to put up a new fence and my fiberboard target is married to one of the posts, plus its getting old and shot out.

·
High-tech Hillbilly
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Attached are the plans and bill of material, in case anyone is interested. I made everything out of 1 1/2" SCH 40 PVC except the sleeves for the uprights. They are 2" SCH 40. All the pipe lengths are based on Charlotte Pipe fittings. Other manufacturers may have different insertion depths.

Darren

Attachments

·
Registered
21,135 Posts
Nicely done Darren.

·
Registered
69,438 Posts
Cool!!

You gonna build one big enough for your Moose target...best put wheels on that one.

·
High-tech Hillbilly
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool!!

You gonna build one big enough for your Moose target...best put wheels on that one.
The only thing I have to do is change out the uprights to make the target further from the ground. I need the moose hump to be 6 1/2 feet high. I am changing the material of the target from a rubber mat with high density foam vitals to all high density foam. That should make it significantly lighter.

Darren

·
King of Callaway
42,572 Posts
The clay bird was a nice touch!

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
An attachment or block of some sort to lessen the swing of the bag after the arrow impacts might be good.

·
High-tech Hillbilly
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
An attachment or block of some sort to lessen the swing of the bag after the arrow impacts might be good.
Your bow must shoot a lot harder than mine! That bag target weighs close to 50 pounds and doesn't swing much when I hit it.

Darren

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
Dunno. I have a large Morrell bag target that is probably 36"x36"x16" and I'd guess it's at least 50 pounds. I suspend it off the ground with a cable between two trees in the back yard. When shooting at 20 yards when the arrow smacks the bag it will swing back and forth enough that I'm usually waiting on it to stop moving before I can shoot my next shot. Beyond 20 yards the swing isn't too bad and my shot prep for a 30-60 yard shot takes long enough that the bag has stopped when I'm ready to release the shot. If I had a stand I would have a stop or tether to keep the bag still. There are commercially made stands with such a mechanism. Just an idea...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts