Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Under appreciated
92,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok..

I have been building aluminums and to a lesser degree, cedars in the past 12 yrs..

I need to know what I need to do for carbons..

Fletching jigs??
Should I get a carbon arizona ezfletch or use my bitz or jojan jigs?

Inserts?? Nocks?? Can I use the same arrow saw disk that I use for aluminums?

What can I expect the difference to be other than diameter between aluminums and carbon?
:confused:

·
5,631 Posts
Use your bitz.

Inserts and nocks depend on the arrow.

You'll need a high speed cutter for the carbons. (I'm not sure about the mandatory RPMs). If your saw is already one of those you should be fine.

Carbons are a lot tougher. If they're not broke or cracked, they're still straight. I've saved a lot of money by going to carbons. 9 out of 10 times, if I miss...the arrow is fine.

·
Under appreciated
92,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is fletch-tite ok for carbons or do you all use different adhesives?

My personal opinion is that I do not like the cyanoacrylate type glues..
least for aluminums and definitely not for cedars...

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
diffanty keep your jo jan and bitz un less you just want to give them to me.

the flech tite should be fine i think most of it is good for both alum and carbon. i have heard really good stuff about goat tuff when your run out might try it.

as far as your saw i would gess its fast enough most of the really good ones run up 8000 to 9000 rpms but even 5000 will due the faster it is the nicer cut and cooler it keeps the carbon for a much better cut.
after you cut them use a brass brush for my arrows the one for a 7 mag i belevie it is works great to give a twist or two inside to make sure its clean then you can use a q tip or somethign with some cleaner the carbon dust will play heck on your gule if you don't get it off.

as far as putting vanes on a guy told me that you have to almost scrape them rough to ever get a good stick on the vanes or use some really fine sand paper lightly and then again use somthing like alchol to clean them but not cotton balls cause they leave crap on your shafts.

you won't have any troubles at all i am sure

oh yeah save your self some time and start with blazer vanes thats the most important step :D

·
Registered
38,303 Posts
Rat, fletchtite works for me...even on uncrested arrahs.....I use a pneumatic diegrinder, with a cutoff wheel, it works good on the homemade jig for length. For the insert glue, I use PowerBond, by Bohning....I haven't seen an insert pull out since changin to that one!!! Not the cheapest insert glue, but it's the best I've found!!

·
Under appreciated
92,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Fireman..

BTW.. I have a couple of arizona ez-fletchs for aluminums I could part with if folks are interested.

One right helical and one 4degree offset.. u2u if interested.. could part with them purty cheap I reckon..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.