Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone build a walk in cooler using one of those coolbots? If so would you recommend using one and what size cooler did you build?

·
PURE KILLER
38,013 Posts
Know a couple that has them and swear by them,I've always tricked the ac but they still freeze up and tired of messing with them so without a doubt im Going coolbot this year just for that reason:D
Not to tough to do just insulate,I'm going 7x12 in a enclosed trailer

Reactions: HEAVY

·
Land buying addiction
13,576 Posts
I just bought a freezer trailer yesterday that is already setup but it's small 4' tall 4' wide 7' long 400$ There was a 5'x6'x8' insulated with the compressor and condensor sold for about 900$ after fees. I think by the time you build something, buy the coolbot and Ac you could buy a used walking cooler. I saw one for 800$ the other day.

·
Gentry County, NE KS
950 Posts
Yes. The cool bot works great. Bought plywood with 4 inches of foam between them in 4x8 sheets at a lumber yard. Some were separating so they were cheap. Just used long screws to hold them together. So my cooler is 4x8x8 with the window unit. Takes about 20 minutes to go to 38 degrees.

·
Gentry County, NE KS
950 Posts
Above is the Missouri cooler. Built it in time for the 2016 season. 8 sheets of the foam and plywood.

My brother scored a 6x6 walk in cooler for our place in KS. We had to put in a floor and the cooling unit. Have another coolbot in waiting to go for the first time we are down there this year.

·
Slayer of $$$ Birds
7,580 Posts
@DoubleLiver after 5 years is the coolbot and your system still holding up well?

·
Gentry County, NE KS
950 Posts
Used both of them last year. Only issue was mice had put acorns in the a/c unit in missouri. Cleaned them out and everything was fine.

Love the cool bot. You dont have to clean that night. You can do it at noon in a day or two. Leads to more does being shot.

Reactions: WBF

·
Slayer of $$$ Birds
7,580 Posts
Used both of them last year. Only issue was mice had put acorns in the a/c unit in missouri. Cleaned them out and everything was fine.

Love the cool bot. You dont have to clean that night. You can do it at noon in a day or two. Leads to more does being shot.
Outstanding. I’m still up in the air on if I should get a compressor for mine or do a coolbot with an AC unit.

I read one member who was an HVAC guy post that they’d never last, so I had to ask 🤣🤣🤣

So you’re saying it’s not a waste of money

·
Former Leader in Warning points!
10,497 Posts
I would think that a simple clip of a thermostat wire and a $30 inkbird unit would do something similar to the coolbot.

·
Slayer of $$$ Birds
7,580 Posts
I would think that a simple clip of a thermostat wire and a $30 inkbird unit would do something similar to the coolbot.
Idk what an inkbird unit is

·
Registered
350 Posts
My ac unit and coolbot has held up great in 4 years. I hang deer for 2 weeks and it makes a huge difference. The only thing I found is that you need to keep the fins clean otherwise it will ice up quick.

·
Gentry County, NE KS
950 Posts
My ac unit and coolbot has held up great in 4 years. I hang deer for 2 weeks and it makes a huge difference. The only thing I found is that you need to keep the fins clean otherwise it will ice up quick.
I think it is worth the money. I gave two units going, my brother has one and I might build one at my house. They might not last if you ran them all day every day but a couple weeks a year they will last a long time.

·
10,497 Posts

·
Slayer of $$$ Birds
7,580 Posts

$35 on Amazon.

$35 on Amazon.
The one thing I'm not seeing is how it would get the AC down to 36-40 degrees and then keep the AC from freezing up at those temperatures.

·
10,497 Posts
The one thing I'm not seeing is how it would get the AC down to 36-40 degrees and then keep the AC from freezing up at those temperatures.
It is an external thermostat. If you hook it up and set it for 40 degrees, It will turn the Unit off when the cooler reaches 40. That is also the temp at which the A/C evaporator usually runs on a regular basis. If everything stays above 32 degrees, nothing should freeze up. The freezing problems happen when people just run them with no control and they dip too low.

·
Slayer of $$$ Birds
7,580 Posts
It is an external thermostat. If you hook it up and set it for 40 degrees, It will turn the Unit off when the cooler reaches 40. That is also the temp at which the A/C evaporator usually runs on a regular basis. If everything stays above 32 degrees, nothing should freeze up. The freezing problems happen when people just run them with no control and they dip too low.
Will an AC unit hit 40 degrees?

·
10,497 Posts
Will an AC unit hit 40 degrees?
It will get the job done, If it is not really hot outside, also not very efficiently. There are better tools for the job but they are significantly more expensive. If you are just running this thing for a month or so every year, in the fall. It’ll work fine. Keep the door shut as much as possible. It probably won’t hold that low if it is 85+ degrees outside though. I also depends on how well insulated and sealed your cooler is.

Reactions: jawesome357

·
Under appreciated
89,279 Posts
Most everybody I have talked to that went the coolbot route have had pretty good luck with it.
I havent talked to anyone that has ran them for weeks on end though. I wouldnt be afraid to run it for a few days or a week even at a time so long as I were around to check in from time to time.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts