Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
just a no body
15,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the wife likes canned Carp. I can take it or leave it. The last we had was some grass carp from a pond that was being drained. Wife's Niece's Husband is a rabid river fisherman so she asked if he ever gets a carp? All the time it seemed so she asked for him to save one for her. He asked if a Buffalo was ok? She just said yes not knowing really what it was. After doing a wee bit of research I find that Buffalo is not really a carp and also according to some highly desirable., "better than Cod". Seconds later literally as it seemed he was talking with my wife while netting some bait fish he nets a Buffalo.

anybody have any experience with these Buffalos?

·
Registered
983 Posts
Ribs are real good fried.

Reactions: beanpile

·
Registered
4,570 Posts
In the spring when the buffalo run up rivers to spawn folks line the riverbanks with treble hooked grabbing outfits and cast and grab them by the ton. I used to white bass fish on the St. Francois river above Lake Wappapelo and the riffles would have both buffalo fish and fisherman casting treble hooks and snagging buffalo that went from a couple pounds to double digit weights. Once I saw a guy with a compact pickup truck backed down on a gravel bar and it looked like the bed of that truck was half full of snagged buffalo fish. I'd hate to clean that many of them.

·
Registered
983 Posts
In the spring when the buffalo run up rivers to spawn folks line the riverbanks with treble hooked grabbing outfits and cast and grab them by the ton. I used to white bass fish on the St. Francois river above Lake Wappapelo and the riffles would have both buffalo fish and fisherman casting treble hooks and snagging buffalo that went from a couple pounds to double digit weights. Once I saw a guy with a compact pickup truck backed down on a gravel bar and it looked like the bed of that truck was half full of snagged buffalo fish. I'd hate to clean that many of them.
He’s not cleaning em all he’s probably hacking the ribs off and tossing the rest, or might be selling them.

Edit- that, or canning them lol.

·
Lunch break commander
8,577 Posts
I've shot a lot of buffalo with the bow and they are definitely much better eating than a carp. Meat is a nice white color when cooked.

Reactions: beanpile

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Good god NO a buffalo is not a carp. Buffalo are native Ozark clear stream fish. Carp (non-Asian variety) came from one step above sh!tholes in Asia. Actual Asian carp did come from actual sh!tholes in Asia.

·
just a no body
15,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good god NO a buffalo is not a carp. Buffalo are native Ozark clear stream fish. Carp (non-Asian variety) came from one step above sh!tholes in Asia. Actual Asian carp did come from actual sh!tholes in Asia.
I think that has already been established in the OP. That being said I had heard of the Buffalo being lumped in with Carp and the small bit of research I did stated that it is common amongst fishermen for it to be considered a type of carp.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
I've heard about buffalo ribs over the years but never tried it myself. I do usually have access to some fish that get caught in bar ditches from floods. Any tips on getting the ribs out? sawsall? machete?

·
Registered
502 Posts
I had only heard them referred as "buffalo carp" so glad to read this thread and know what they really are. I remember about 12 years I was white bass/crappie fishing and snagged one by mistake. I snagged it with it facing away from me. Had 6# line on. Took forever to get it in being careful to not break the line haha.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts