Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· Registered
3,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For the guys who’ve tried a few, are all of the budget/entry level centerfires from lines like the Savage Axis, Mossberg Patriot, TC, Remington 783, etc. pretty much all as good as the other? Is there a clear choice of one over the rest?

I haven’t kept up with these the last few years. They all seem to sort of be a spin on the Axis.

· Máistir an pointe hocht.
75,110 Posts
I have had excellent accuracy results from the two T/C Ventures I have put together. Well made guns for a good price IMHO.

Ruger American has a good rep too.

75,110 Posts
Thanks! I'll look into them.
Honestly, the T/C ventures are rock solid. I sometimes cant believe how inexpensive you can find them for.

You can spend 2K for a Cooper which I also own, but it wont shoot much better than the ventures I have shot. Really solid rifles.

Reactions: Chew

· Registered
13,839 Posts
T/C has a Compass model, too, and maybe yet another one (they come and go pretty quick, it seems like). Last fall they had a bunch of them at a local shop, for $249. They were available in all the popular chamberings, too.

· Registered
13,839 Posts
One thing to watch on the budget rifles (ALL rifles, really). Most of them have detachable magazines, and the makers always seem to skimp on the magazines. I've read of troubles with the Axis, the Ruger American, the Remingtons (retch!), all in the magazines. Ruger has been steadily improving their American magazines, as has Savage. I quit on the Remingtons after looking at a couple of them. I haven't heard of any issues with Howa rifles, or with the T/C rifles, though.
You might look at the Howas, too, they are NOT a budget rifle, they are top-notch guns, but they are priced like a budget rifle.

75,110 Posts
My wife's T/C Venture in .243 has a "plastic" magazine, but it seems very well made, and we have not had any issues at all with them. Well made rifle, don't have fancy wood, etc. But, they are well made IMHO. Seems pretty common these days, even the Tikka's use them.

I know Pete aka Deeraholic hunts with a Venture in 7mm-08, and last I heard he was very happy with it.....

I don't think you could force me to buy one of those new Remmy's.....

Never owned one, but the Savage axis's are supposed to be good shooters too.

75,110 Posts
The axis II's I've got shoot great. I really like the 7mm-08 for deer. Don't have experience with the rest.
Personally, the Axis or Venture would probably be in my top two.....

And, 7mm-08 is a great deer cartridge. Just put a 7mm-08 Venture together for a friend. He is not that much into the whole "rifle thing" and wanted a very accurate rifle that didn't require a lot of attention. So, I picked up one with weathershield, and topped it off with a Burris E1 3x9x40 30mm tube scope, and talley lw mounts. I have some test loads worked up for it, just need to find time to try them out. But, if this rifle shoots as good as my wife's .243, it'll shoot pretty dammm good. :D

· just a no body
16,272 Posts
You might look at the Howas, too, they are NOT a budget rifle, they are top-notch guns, but they are priced like a budget rifle.
I agree they are a nice weapon. I have had a couple and enjoyed them both especially after adding a Timney trigger.. that being said Maybe its just a difference in definition but I just searched Buds on line catalog and I didn't see any prices that meet MY definition of budget rifle. That being said they are reasonably priced.

to the OP.. truthfully if I had to buy a new weapon for deer hunting it'd be an Axis

· Under appreciated
93,230 Posts
I bought a tikka a few years ago for cheap, wanted a rifle that I could beat up and not worry about. Plastic magazine and the stock is nothing much to look at but man, I cant believe how well that rifle will shoot. Give them a look for sure.

· Registered
3,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I bought a tikka a few years ago for cheap, wanted a rifle that I could beat up and not worry about. Plastic magazine and the stock is nothing much to look at but man, I cant believe how well that rifle will shoot. Give them a look for sure.
It's pretty mind blowing, really. There's a whole pile of $250-ish rifles that shoot MOA/Sub-MOA out of the box with off the shelf loads.

· Registered
13,839 Posts
I agree they are a nice weapon. I have had a couple and enjoyed them both especially after adding a Timney trigger.. that being said Maybe its just a difference in definition but I just searched Buds on line catalog and I didn't see any prices that meet MY definition of budget rifle. That being said they are reasonably priced.

to the OP.. truthfully if I had to buy a new weapon for deer hunting it'd be an Axis
Whittaker's Gun Shop, in Owensboro, KY, had the Mini-Howas for $325 a couple of years ago. They buy enough quantity to get special runs made, or to get great deals they usually pass on to the customer. Later this summer, they'll be getting a special run of the Ruger American Rimfire rifle, in .17HM2, a non-cataloged model built just for them. They do stuff like that all the time, like the outfit Grice's in Pennsylvania, who get Remington to build them all kinds of non-cataloged stuff. Whittaker's has special runs of stuff from Tikka now and then, too.

· Slayer of $$$ Birds
7,883 Posts
I own an Axis in 25-06 and .308, a T/C venture in 7mm-08, an American in .308, and a Savage Model 11 in .260. The best shooter out of all of them is the Venture, followed shortly behind by the Model 11. I'd never recommend anyone to get the Axis in 25-06. I've had terrible experience with the barrel heating up and watching the round dance across the paper. The Ruger American I had some issues with the action not wanting to close. I read on line that you have to be rough with it. Not a big fan of that.

The Venture has shot true since the day i picked it up. Even the wife can keyhole with it, and she hates shooting guns.

I'll add to it that I always shoot factory ammo, and the majority of my scopes have the Nikon 3x9x40 BDC scopes on them.

· Registered
2,724 Posts
I own an Axis in 25-06 and .308, a T/C venture in 7mm-08, an American in .308, and a Savage Model 11 in .260. The best shooter out of all of them is the Venture, followed shortly behind by the Model 11. I'd never recommend anyone to get the Axis in 25-06. I've had terrible experience with the barrel heating up and watching the round dance across the paper. The Ruger American I had some issues with the action not wanting to close. I read on line that you have to be rough with it. Not a big fan of that.

The Venture has shot true since the day i picked it up. Even the wife can keyhole with it, and she hates shooting guns.

I'll add to it that I always shoot factory ammo, and the majority of my scopes have the Nikon 3x9x40 BDC scopes on them.
You mean to tell me people actually shoot rifles enough to heat a barrel up? Why? Prairie Dogs?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.