Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my old biker buddy Glen out to the range today, to shoot his turkey gun. He's never killed a turkey, so I figured it's time...He has a nice browning gold auto, with a straight full choke. We tried some Winchester Supreme Hi Velocity #6 in 3 1/2", and Federal Premium #6 in 3". I had both these shells on hand, figured we'd start with them. Both did alright out to 30 yds, I wouldn't try the 3" at 40...too many holes. Even the 3 1/2"ers at 40 were pretty scarce, but will still kill a turkey. Here's a look at the 2 20 yd targets.

·
Registered
38,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea, Jack, we were hoping for him to get by without buying another choke tube, just using his stock browning straight full that he got with the gun...I think he'll do fine. I just gotta git that bird in close enough!!! (that's the FUN part!!!)

·
Registered
8,764 Posts
Brad, that choke will work fine. I used a straight full choke for years and killed turkeys. And you're right get 'em in close. That's the challenging and fun part of turkey hunting.

Jack

·
Registered
38,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea, I have killed a bunch of em with dad's old Remington 1100 with a straight full choke barrel, made before screw in chokes...My double bearder being one of em!! I hope I can get one in front of Glen, after watchin those 3 1/2's pound him...lol

·
Registered
8,764 Posts
Once you get one in front of him he'll be hooked and addicted to turkey hunting. I've not seen a person yet that wasn't. If I had to give up every kind of hunting but one Turkey hunting would be my choice to keep.

Jack

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.