Buddy's turkey targets...

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting General' started by FiremanBrad, Apr 20, 2006.

1. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

I took my old biker buddy Glen out to the range today, to shoot his turkey gun. He's never killed a turkey, so I figured it's time...He has a nice browning gold auto, with a straight full choke. We tried some Winchester Supreme Hi Velocity #6 in 3 1/2", and Federal Premium #6 in 3". I had both these shells on hand, figured we'd start with them. Both did alright out to 30 yds, I wouldn't try the 3" at 40...too many holes. Even the 3 1/2"ers at 40 were pretty scarce, but will still kill a turkey. Here's a look at the 2 20 yd targets.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. JackJr

JackJr New Member

Nov 30, 2002
    Land Of BLAHS
    With the right choke he'd be real good to 40 yards.

Jack

3. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

Yea, Jack, we were hoping for him to get by without buying another choke tube, just using his stock browning straight full that he got with the gun...I think he'll do fine. I just gotta git that bird in close enough!!! (that's the FUN part!!!)

4. JackJr

JackJr New Member

Nov 30, 2002
    Land Of BLAHS
    Brad, that choke will work fine. I used a straight full choke for years and killed turkeys. And you're right get 'em in close. That's the challenging and fun part of turkey hunting.

Jack

5. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

Yea, I have killed a bunch of em with dad's old Remington 1100 with a straight full choke barrel, made before screw in chokes...My double bearder being one of em!! I hope I can get one in front of Glen, after watchin those 3 1/2's pound him...lol

6. JackJr

JackJr New Member

Nov 30, 2002
    Land Of BLAHS
    Once you get one in front of him he'll be hooked and addicted to turkey hunting. I've not seen a person yet that wasn't. If I had to give up every kind of hunting but one Turkey hunting would be my choice to keep.

Jack