buck with broken antlers

Discussion in '2011 Whitetail General' started by keithk, Nov 10, 2010.

1. keithk

keithk Member

Feb 11, 2004
    anyone know what happens if one kills a deer and come to find out it has both antlers broken off?

2. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    If there is part of the antler longer than 3 inches you have a buck....shorter you put your doe or anydeer tag on it.

3. JrNation88

JrNation88 Active Member

Jan 2, 2009
    BOCO
    if it's 4 inches, get out the file quick! :eek:

4. Z-BOYS DAD

Z-BOYS DAD New Member

Nov 24, 2009
    wooldridge mo
    [rquote=1890494&tid=131680&author=JrNation88]if it's 4 inches, get out the file quick! :eek:

[/rquote]or a hammer:wave::wave:

5. keithk

keithk Member

Feb 11, 2004
    So, if I understand this right, if the "broken antler" is less than 3", it's legal? Just kind of curious, I've seen several bucks with broken horns.

6. macon county boy

macon county boy New Member

May 6, 2009
  7. mofarmboy

mofarmboy Active Member

Nov 18, 2007
    central mo.
    killed a couple like this.....i alway tagged them in as button bucks that way they dont count as part of the doe harvest.....i did always use a antlerless tag.

8. Longbow26

Longbow26 New Member

Feb 5, 2005
    Farmington, MO
    Testicles on a deer does not quantify it as a buck or anterless for telecheck perposes. And remember it is anterless tag not a doe tag. Thouhg most ppl refer to them as doe tags.

If they are both broken clean off it is taged as a anterless deer. The telecheck will ask you if it is a buck wiht no antlers or a button.

9. kc704

kc704 Senior Member

Dec 9, 2004
    Missouri
    My Dad shot a buck years back that had broken off both sides. The bases were only about an inch long. He thought he was done, but I remembered reading something about it so we called the Conservation Agent and they confirmed he could tag it with his antlerless tag.

10. 67Firebird

67Firebird Chicken Man

Too vague of a question;

Broken how short?
    What tags do you have?
    Which season?
    What's allowed where you're hunting?

11. JFitz

JFitz Member

I think I'd have to ask a MDC agent on this. There is clear wordage in the books that say that a buck must have at least 4 points on one side to be legal. If a antler is 3" or less then it can be considered "antlerless". If both antlers are broken off and you cannot support the 4 points by showing the broken off part, then you have no way to prove it. Sounds to me like someone is trying to figure out a way to make the justification. Won't work. Guaranteed!

12. oneshot 1

oneshot 1 Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Ozarks
    One year up North durring Firearms Season we killed 5 Deer that all had antlers broke off All was Tagged Antlerless.

oneshot
    :D The Big Grin find most Antlers taste like :toilet:

13. Judah

Judah Crossbow supporter

Oct 19, 2007
    Warren County
    if a deer has at least one antler of at least 3 inches it is an antlered deer

A deer must have 4 points of at least 1 inch on one antler to be a legal antlered deer per the AR

If a spike has no antler 3 inches or longer it is an antlerless deer.

That is why we have antlered/antlerless designations and not buck/doe.

14. callaojoe

callaojoe Máistir an pointe hocht.

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    My kid killed a buck that had dropped both antlers during ML season last year, I checked it as a button buck.......:shrug:

15. stlwolf

stlwolf New Member

Nov 10, 2010
    Warren County
    Why would you want to shoot a deer with broken horns...you arentgiven him a chance. Let him go another year and see what he might turn out to be.....you might be killing a trophy, or future trophy...I wouldn't shoot one with broken horns and I knew it. If you want one with no horns there are alot of does out there...JMO!!

16. Judah

Judah Crossbow supporter

Oct 19, 2007
    Warren County
    [rquote=1891197&tid=131680&author=stlwolf]Why would you want to shoot a deer with broken horns...you arentgiven him a chance. Let him go another year and see what he might turn out to be.....you might be killing a trophy, or future trophy...I wouldn't shoot one with broken horns and I knew it. If you want one with no horns there are alot of does out there...JMO!![/rquote]

Can't eat the antlers. :wave:
    Not everyone cares about the "trophy" as much as they want the meat. :shrug:

17. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    [rquote=1891197&tid=131680&author=stlwolf]Why would you want to shoot a deer with broken horns...[/rquote]

Because they taste just as good as the others? :shrug:

18. oneshot 1

oneshot 1 Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Ozarks
    [rquote=1891201&tid=131680&author=judah][rquote=1891197&tid=131680&author=stlwolf]Why would you want to shoot a deer with broken horns...you arentgiven him a chance. Let him go another year and see what he might turn out to be.....you might be killing a trophy, or future trophy...I wouldn't shoot one with broken horns and I knew it. If you want one with no horns there are alot of does out there...JMO!![/rquote]

Can't eat the antlers. :wave:
    Not everyone cares about the "trophy" as much as they want the meat. :shrug:[/rquote]

I hunt for the Meat Antlers have no meat.

oneshot
    :D The Big Grin just uses them to hold the Door open.

19. BigBuck573

BigBuck573 New Member

Oct 4, 2010
    Makes me wonder??? So if i a man was only 3 " is he considered a woman?

20. Judah

Judah Crossbow supporter

Oct 19, 2007
    Warren County
    [rquote=1891227&tid=131680&author=BigBuck573]Makes me wonder??? So if i a man was only 3 " is he considered a woman?[/rquote]

:rof2: Ask Leasburg... :wave: :hysterical: