Buck Down

Discussion in 'MWT Bucks of 2010' started by txcobowhunter, Nov 8, 2010.

1. txcobowhunter

txcobowhunter Deer Gear Collecter

Oct 5, 2008
    Texas County
    Okay, I'm sure I'll take some ribbing about this but here goes anyway. It has been a different kind of bow season for me. Started off, my Dad was having some health problems so I really didn't get to start hunting until mid October. Had twelve days straight to hunt and only saw two deer while in the stand. Last week, my Mom lost the sight in her right eye and due to other health problems she can’t have the required surgery to repair it. All of this has pretty much put a damper on hunting as it should. I hunted this morning and passed up two gimme shots on spikes. I get into the stand tonight at 3:00 and it is hot and windy. About 5:00 the deer begin moving starting with a small spike that came by and offered a 15 yard shot. By this time I am getting pretty antsy about letting all of these deer go, but, I know that to kill a big deer you have to let the little deer walk. This spike had no more got out of sight, when a doe and a fawn show up. They came to about 30 yards but, never offered a shot opportunity. They fed off the same way the spike had gone. I wait a while and decide it’s time to call it a night. I grab my back pack off the hook and start packing up, when I hear footsteps coming from behind me. I quickly hang the pack up and grab my bow. Then I see a big bodied deer coming up the hill. I realize that it is the big three point that I have gotten tons of pics from this year. Anyway it follows the script and comes up the trail that will take it 20 yards from my stand. I come to full draw, and when it gets into the shooting lane it stops. One short trigger pull later and the buck takes off the same way the other deer have gone. It ran 40 yards and dropped within sight. It’s not going to score many points for my team, but it’s my best bow deer, and it will make some great summer sausage and jerky.

[file]147000[/file]

[file]147002[/file]

2. Jeremy

Jeremy REGULAR MEMBER

Dec 22, 2006
    no ribbing at all, shoot what you want, justify it to nobody...its your choice as a hunter. :cheers: given the chance, i'd shoot it too...i'm not allowed to though says the higher ups

3. txcobowhunter

Oct 5, 2008
    Texas County
    It was just nice to have something besides a small spike or button buck offer itself up. I'm not ashamed. I'm having backstrap for breakfast!!!:banana-man-yeah:

4. ymurf

ymurf Active Member

Nov 4, 2006
    Steelville, Mo.
    Nothing wrong with that deer.Nice one.:cheers:

5. huntingnut38

huntingnut38 New Member

Apr 25, 2010
    Any deer is a trophy in my book with a bow. The smile on your face says it all. Congrats on a great bow kill.

6. txcobowhunter

Oct 5, 2008
    Texas County
    BTW Parker, I had blown the vector about 5 minutes before the spike came in and since it is all chained together does that count? :D

7. Vector

Vector VECtor Custom Calls

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    :2thumbsup: GOOD WORK MAN! Saved the picture!

Parker

8. gentleben

gentleben Active Member

Sep 9, 2010
    STL
    [rquote=1886898&tid=131454&author=huntingnut38]Any deer is a trophy in my book with a bow. The smile on your face says it all. Congrats on a great bow kill.[/rquote]

It's the smile that makes the trophy.

9. marshallgrn

marshallgrn New Member

Apr 20, 2008
    in hiding
    Awsome i would kill that thing to if it was legal, nice work

10. kevinhunter

kevinhunter Senior Member

Nov 10, 2010
    Indiana
    Congrats on your largest bow kill! A true Trophy is in the eye of the hunter that takes the game! Again congrats on one fine bow kill.

11. Judah

Judah Crossbow supporter

Oct 19, 2007
    Warren County
    mmm
    steaks, roast, sausage.

Nice job! :claphands:

12. mohunter32

mohunter32 Senior Member Lifetime Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2005
    Franklin Co, MO
  13. callaojoe

callaojoe Máistir an pointe hocht.

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    Good deal man, and a great deer.... As, they all are!:2thumbsup:

My only rule I go by when deciding on taking a buck with my bow, is he better than my best with a bow. Since I have not taken anything over 110" with my bow, I have a lot of options. Once I Have taken a big one, then I'll probably relax that rule, and just shoot what makes me happy....:D

In case you haven't realized, sometimes they are just plain hard to kill with a bow. Congrats.!:2thumbsup:

14. Gutpile

Gutpile Cooler Semi-Elitist

Aug 22, 2003
    St. Charles
    Cool deal, man. Good shot, good kill, good eats.

15. DAWG

DAWG New Member

Nov 2, 2007
    Marionville
    looks tasty to me!:cheers:

16. bowhuntKS

bowhuntKS King of the White Ninjas

Sep 11, 2006
    KS
    Congrats on a great deer:eek::

17. winger

winger New Member

Oct 24, 2003
    you sir are my hero. yet another great success story and memory that would have been thwarted by the dreaded ar's. great deer, congrats.

18. pinwheel

pinwheel Jenny's Lackey

Jun 17, 2006
    middle of nowhere
    [rquote=1891333&tid=131454&author=kevinhunter]Congrats on your largest bow kill! A true Trophy is in the eye of the hunter that takes the game! Again congrats on one fine bow kill.[/rquote]

:trophy::trophy:

19. BIGRED42

BIGRED42 Senior Member

Nov 2, 2007
    North Kansas City
    [rquote=1896497&tid=131454&author=bowhuntKS]Congrats on a great deer:eek::[/rquote]

x2