Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw a shooter buck on a south facing slope 2 days ago. He was sitting in the sun on an oak ridge mid day. I couldn't shoot because I was holding my rifle to get a doe. :mad2:

It was clear and cold.

Do you think it's a safe assumption I could set up there and think he would bed there again under similar conditions?

thanks

[Edited on 12-7-2009 by woodshed]

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
[rquote=1501102&tid=104753&author=DanF]managed hunt??? otherwise, unless your carying a bow right now In MO., there are no shooter bucks...and yes, unless you spooked the buck, he will be back...[/rquote]
It was antlerless season till 1/2 hr before dusk today:D

He should be back, south facing slope till midday probably

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes,, it was antlerless season. In fact what happened, after about 45 minutes of watching him, I remembered I had my bow in the truck about 100 yards away. I snuck back and traded the gun for bow and tried to put on the sneak. I took my boots off and got about 60 yards behind him but not yet with a shot. The wind shifted and he winded me and flagged out of there.

There is alot of human intrusion in these woods. Walkers and horse riders. It's on private ground but the deer prob. get bumped enough. I'm hoping since he busted me, that he won't depart the county.

Do you think this changes things?

·
Registered
353 Posts
He should be back. I've jumped up the same buck twice in the same general area, about 30 yds apart. Deer are like women, once you think you got'em figured out, they prove you wrong!

·
Banned
81,616 Posts
It may depend upon why the buck was bedded there and where is home range is. It will also depend on where the doe's are in the coming weeks too. It can be a fickle time of the year for bucks.

:cheers::cheers:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts