Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
4,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have any experience with these rifles?

Been looking around for a Savage 99 or Win 88 in 308 with very little luck. Considering the prices these older rifles are demanding I thought I may as well consider the Brownings as well but I know very little about them.

Do they function well/ Are they accurate? Any hands on experience?

· Registered
13,861 Posts
Mailman has messed with a couple, and the guys over on the levergun forums on 24hourcampfire love 'em. Ask there, someone is bound to have the lowdown on 'em.

The only one I've had any knowledge with, belonged to my cousin's husband, it was a real early .308. He had NO trouble hitting deer when he aimed it at them.

· Confirmed Bachelor
10,469 Posts
I found one for my dad in 30-06. It's the lightning version. He really likes it. Trigger is pretty stiff, but overall handles and shoots great.

· Registered
4,758 Posts
My dad and I both have the older BLR 81' rifles with steel frames. Both of ours are .308 Winchester chamberings. They are topnotch in every regard. Honestly I don't use mine all that much but my dad has used his as his primary rifle for 20 years or so. It has been shot a lot with my handloads. They are dead nuts reliable, very accurate, not fussy at all about loads, easy to pack, easy to scope, just plain good rifles.

· Registered
13,861 Posts

· Registered
71,026 Posts
The Browning BLR that I shot my reloads with was a .243 that belonged to Hillybilly's wife. Don't know if she even went hunting with it or not. My suggestion is that stick with just hunting because the thin barrel on the BLR heats up and makes the third shot off a bit. Two shots back to back is all it can handle and keep its accuracy. Jerry I have an old Savage 99 in the .308 that is the same way and both the Savage and Browning have the same trigger pull...about 6 1/2 lbs by my scale. A bit stiff for my liking but you can't do a whole lot with this type except to have it jeweled by a gunsmith.

Here is the link I posted about the BLR .243

http://www.missouriwhitetails.com/forums/viewthread.php?tid=97363#top

· Registered
4,758 Posts
Mailman,
I can't help but think you had one bad example. That isn't my experience at all. Our two .308 BLR 81's do not suffer from the third shot problem as you relate. Three shot groups are tight with no indication of stringing shots. Our triggers aren't nearly as heavy as you described either. They are not tuned bolt gun quality, but I've seen worse triggers on some bolt guns. BTW, there are a few gunsmiths that do excellent work on BLR triggers if that is needed on a particular example. I wouldn't have one of the new alloy frame jobs, but I'm hard headed about things like that.

· Registered
348 Posts
My in laws bought three of the straight grip version, all in .308 Winchester. They found out the hard way that they wouldn't fire reliably in temps below freezing. We tried different lots of ammo, to make sure that wasn't a problem. We ended up taking them to the Browning factory in Arnold, and they took them apart and cleaned all the cosmoline (or whatever preservative) out of the firing pin channel. After that they have been perfectly reliable. I also must add that Browning did the inspection/cleaning free of charge, like they should have. They are a little heavy in the trigger but are plenty accurate for hunting purposes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.