Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve posted about this gun on here previously looking for load info. Just picked it up from having the stock refinished, reblued, recoil pad, and gold inlay done on the bottom metal.

It’s a Browning Safari Grade. Actually made during an era when Sako was making the actions for Browning. So it’s a Sako Medium Action that browning assembled and stocked. Has a hart barrel chambered in 250 ackley improved. Action is trued, bedded, etc…. Already shot well and since it wasnt original anyway decided to have it fixed up to my appeal. Thought the restore turned out pretty good and wanted to share.

·
Under appreciated
89,807 Posts
Nice. Who did the stock work?

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
70,942 Posts
I had Helix in Arnold do this.
I've had Eric work on a few of my guns lately.... He does nice work. It might take a while, but it's been quality work so far.

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
70,942 Posts
BTW, great looking rifle, if it shoots half as good as it looks, you'll be very happy with it.

Post up some pics when you get it dialed in. (y)

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've had Eric work on a few of my guns lately.... He does nice work. It might take a while, but it's been quality work so far.
I’ve had him do a few things. Have been happy thus far, and is close for me. Decent turn around on this and another gun. But have a project there that is taking quite a while I think due to backordered parts.

Thanks for the compliments. I’ll be sure to post when I get out and shoot it.

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
70,942 Posts
I’ve had him do a few things. Have been happy thus far, and is close for me. Decent turn around on this and another gun. But have a project there that is taking quite a while I think due to backordered parts.

Thanks for the compliments. I’ll be sure to post when I get out and shoot it.
In his defense, I know on the last gun he worked on for me, it was backordered part. And, the first job he did, was not a typical sort of thing he does I am sure.

No complaints, I knew going in that both jobs were going to take some time.

It's funny, but in talking to him sounds like he'll get people badgering him to get work done, then when he does the gun will sit there for months as the people don't have the cash to pay for the work..... I picked up my guns asap after the work was done, he says that's a rarity.... I guess it's sort of like taxidermist with rooms full of heads that people were all gung ho to get mounted when they killed it, but then the bill comes due. :D

Reactions: Roman Nose

·
In Mourning ___ Save the Ninja
4,990 Posts
Nice round its chambered in ,,Good looking firearm too

·
Registered
725 Posts
I’ve posted about this gun on here previously looking for load info. Just picked it up from having the stock refinished, reblued, recoil pad, and gold inlay done on the bottom metal.

It’s a Browning Safari Grade. Actually made during an era when Sako was making the actions for Browning. So it’s a Sako Medium Action that browning assembled and stocked. Has a hart barrel chambered in 250 ackley improved. Action is trued, bedded, etc…. Already shot well and since it wasnt original anyway decided to have it fixed up to my appeal. Thought the restore turned out pretty good and wanted to share.

Was the double stepped shank turned to match the original inlet? Red pads, nice wood and stainless barrels get me all "rutted" up! I'll bet the little .250 AI is a real sweetheart...

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Was the double stepped shank turned to match the original inlet? Red pads, nice wood and stainless barrels get me all "rutted" up! I'll bet the little .250 AI is a real sweetheart...
I wasn’t apart of the original build. But, from the looks of it and knowing who originally built this rifle, my answer would be, yes. It’s on the money too how it’s all fitted. Happy to bring it back to life. Was a little rough, a lot tougher than I originally thought it was. Had some big cracks in the stock out in the forearm of the stock.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
In his defense, I know on the last gun he worked on for me, it was backordered part. And, the first job he did, was not a typical sort of thing he does I am sure.

No complaints, I knew going in that both jobs were going to take some time.

It's funny, but in talking to him sounds like he'll get people badgering him to get work done, then when he does the gun will sit there for months as the people don't have the cash to pay for the work..... I picked up my guns asap after the work was done, he says that's a rarity.... I guess it's sort of like taxidermist with rooms full of heads that people were all gung ho to get mounted when they killed it, but then the bill comes due. :D
Yeah I could see that. He sent me an email that it was ready. I showed up that afternoon to pick it up. He acted very surprised I was there to get it so quickly.

Pretty happy with the work. The bluing and everything was great. Took care of some light pitting. He fixed some pretty bad cracks that you can hardly notice now. With that said, the oil finish didn’t get the attention I would have liked. I will probably do some work on it. I’m not too upset as he is crazy reasonable in my opinion and I’m probably a little too picky.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts