Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
19,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i broke my jag off in my barrel, had to tap it out to remove it, took the jag to work had a machinist face the end off, drill and tap a 1 inch deep and tapped with a 10-32 tap, i then went and found a 1 1/4 inch 10-32 set screw, added some permanent loctite to the brass threads, inserted the set screw, and wala it's repaired, and in my opinion will be much stronger than the brass threads it had, heres a pic the red you see on the external threads is a liquid nylon thread loc, not permanent

[file]81229[/file]

·
Grrrrrrr
29,951 Posts
Hope that happened on the practice range and didn't cost ya a hunt....looks like ya got it all fixed up though.:cheers:

·
Registered
13,957 Posts
Lucky dawg........... at least you have the tools to get "r"done

good deal my friend........:cheers::cheers:

·
Registered
11,897 Posts
The reason brass is used for those fitings and threads is no spark. You now have steel thread that can potentially cause static eletricity in your barel.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Lot's of folks have wised up to using steel threads in jags and attachments. Can hardly see how a spark could ever be generated. Ever own a Barnes bullet alignment jag (to name one of many).

Besides, it's just Yankee. :D

·
19,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
[rquote=1488017&tid=103949&author=Longbow26] The reason brass is used for those fitings and threads is no spark. You now have steel thread that can potentially cause static eletricity in your barel.[/rquote] why then are muzzleloaders made of steel and NOT brass??? i hardly doubt that little bit of steel will produce anything, besides brass and aluminum can also produce a static charge, but the moment you touch it it'll discharge, and my rod for the gun is aluminum, and it aint caused any touble yet

·
19,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
[rquote=1488010&tid=103949&author=archer66]Hope that happened on the practice range and didn't cost ya a hunt....looks like ya got it all fixed up though.:cheers:[/rquote]naaa archer i was at the house giving it a cleaning, i think this was the jag where i bent the threads a few yrs back, i straightend it and used it off and on over time, and she finally let loose:D:D

·
13,391 Posts
Brass is also much softer than steel and will not mar or scratch a steel surface.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts